Buying A DT50 for my son

Aggie
This post is 5668 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I thought I'd ask the experts about a 50cc machine for my son. I've been looking at bikes like the Aprillia, Gilera and Derbi when I came across a 1989-90 (G) DT50 being rebuilt by A yamaha shop in Poole (local to me). I have a few questions:

1) are parts hard to get?

2) is it a good bike for everyday use?

3) is £950 a fair price?

4) is there anything I need to look out for?

This is the sort of bike I would have ridden when i was a young whipper-snapper, but don't want to be swayed by nostalgia!

Thanks in advance

Tony

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1:) Parts are easy to get, ebay is full of them, most parts can be ordered in from your dealer, tyres are about £20 each

2:) It is a very good bike for day to day use, good riding position, comfy seat, lgiht and agile and good on fuel

3:) I paid £300 for mine with 23k on the clock in good condition.

4:) nope, these bikes are pretty tough, just check it runs alright at tickover and doesnt bog down or cut out when throttled up. do the usual (check forks for rust, steering head bearings e.t.c) and you should have a cracking bike!

ive got a DT50MX (G reg, 1990) and love it, its not the fastest bike around but its easy to work on, cheap to repair and easy to modify. and if you throw it down the road a few times it doesnt matter because there isnt much plastic to destroy

Thanks for the swift reply. The head bearings are being replaced, so I don't anticipate a problem there, He's replacing them with a newer type too. You say they are pretty tough, I forgot to mention that he wants to do a bit of Green laning (nothing too harsh!), will it cope with that?

Did you buy yours privately? there's a big difference between your price and the one the dealer is asking. He is doing a complete rebuild, in fact when I saw it at the shop it was in about 100 pieces.

Can you still get the original decals for them? I know for a fact that there is a small dig in the petrol tank, so I'll probably want to get that knocked out and resprayed.

Yes, Original decals are also available on ebay. it may be easier to fill the dent in with body filler and spray over it that to get it out if its only a little'en. a good job can be done with rattle-cans at minimal cost if you are good, just make sure to use fuel-proof laquer or it will strip the paint off if you spill petrol on the paintwork

mine was bought privately through Trade-it, check the wheel bearings aswell as they do tend to go with age but are simple enough to replace.

what mileage does your DT have?

green laning is what these bikes were built for!, i LOVE green laning mine :P, am also taking it around the republic of ireland in June.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online