Just passed!

parkey5
This post is 5522 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I had never been on a bike before December. Now I've whipped through the direct access scheme and bought my first bike. It was like love at first sight my '07 R6 in blue. We've spent a week together so far and she scares the shit outta me, but I'm reigning her in slowly and building my confidence.

anyway...

I live in Barrow-in-furness in the lakes are there any meets or good rides that anyone can share with me?

At what rev count should I be shifting on standard road riding? (I'm not used to such a large rev range)

Do I need to clean my bike EVERYDAY with so much salt on the roads? :o(

Hope to speak to you all soon.

Cheers,

Parkey5

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

welcome to the forum

dont need to clean it everyday

twice a week maybe? depends on how much you use it

make sure your bike is well oiled up and make sure the chain doesnt rust, keep it lubed up :)

Hi Parkey5 and welcome to the YOC. wow! you sure took the fast track route to an R6. Good advise from shokz there its important to keep the chain clean and well lubed in wet weather and especially salty roads...better still when the roads are wet and salty leave the bike alone and stick with the car, a big ask as they say, especially to a new convert...ride safely and enjoy the R6 ;)

Awesome.

Cheers ShoKz, oldgitonabike and HalHark for your fast and helpful replies, I look forward to keeping you up to date with how I get on, people I meet and the experiences I have.

Nothing will keep me off my bike at the moment. I'm braving my first long trip down to Bolton tomorrow, I'm planning lots of coffee breaks on the way.

Keep in touch.

Parkey5 :)

Hi all,

I had never been on a bike before December. Now I've whipped through the direct access scheme and bought my first bike. It was like love at first sight my '07 R6 in blue. We've spent a week together so far and she scares the shit outta me, but I'm reigning her in slowly and building my confidence.

anyway...

I live in Barrow-in-furness in the lakes are there any meets or good rides that anyone can share with me?

At what rev count should I be shifting on standard road riding? (I'm not used to such a large rev range)

Cheers,

Parkey5

Welcome fella, I'm tother side of the fells.

Straight in at the deep end eh? Take it easy and you'll be fine. Watch your observations, and try to anticipate what the rest of the world is doing. If you stay smooth (rather than on/off the throttle) you'll find your corners will be less hassle and you'll be a faster rider without doing stupid speeds.

You might want to consider this:

http://www.cumbria.police.uk/makingcumbriasafer_10145.htm

It's free and they run it from Kendal, the second series would give you time to get some experience under your belt (not till August) You'll get a bag of goodies all about staying alive on the road, as well as top notch advice on how to make safe progress etc etc. Well worth the investment of a couple of nights of your time. Nothing stopping you doing it again next year too. Good to get friendly with the local plod bikers, wont stop you getting a ticket for being a prat, but as long as you don't p1ss them off they won't hassle you when your out.

I've a mate down there who went on regular ride-outs, and there's quite a following from what I can remember, alas he traded his bike for a wife & child, sometimes life takes prisoners! I'll aks him if he's got any details though.

Congrats Parkey!

Welcome to the world of R6ers ! :thumb:

That link Gas Up posted loks great -Do It! and Bike Safe, will help build confidence and instill good habits before the bad ones creep in.

Apart from the power, difference you will notice on the R6 is gear range, it loves to be revved and bends you would take in 3rd on an ER5 (or whatever you DAS'ed on) are better handled in 2nd on the R6. If anyone in your area is doing a slow riding course, get to it, the R6 needs slightly different handling and a supervised practice session will do heaps for your control and confidence.

Have a great summer, and stay safe ;)

Easiest answer is to ride as per the DSA instructions.

However, this is only the basics.

Thereafter, you have several options.

Bikesafe - Best done fairly soon after your test. Within 6 months is a good bet.

Also getting a copy of Roadcraft for bikes will help. Read through it lots and slowly allow the lessons to creep naturally into your riding. Don't force it - Just marvel one day when you realise you've just done XYZ on Page 53 and discovered something cool!!

Refresher Training - Many schools actually offer this, wherein they remind you of the proper stuff, help keep bad habits out of your riding and introduce you to new things.

Advanced Riding - IAM, ROSPA and so forth. Pretty good, but best with a bit of varied experience to relate the training to.

Experience - The best teacher, but also the harshest taskmaster. You learn a lot from just getting out there, but unless you take it very cautiously you may get hurt.

Above all, as stated, look first to your observations, second to your handling skills and rely on reactions as a last resort.

Wow, great advice guys I've started to take notes and I like the sound of more training.

One thing I didn't expect to happen when I passed my bike test was how many friends I'd make. I rode down to Bolton today and I got talking to complete strangers about bikes; not only that but every time I passed another biker there was a friendly exchange of nods (not from kids on scooters, but everyone else was very pleasent) I feel very humbled and part of a huge organisation. Cheers everyone :)

Parkey5

One thing I didn't expect to happen when I passed my bike test was how many friends I'd make.

Most bikers are happy to pass the time of day with anyone who has the slightest bit of interest. You do get some arses though, 'all the gear - no idea' types, but you'll (normally) only see them come out when the weather is warm and sunny, and usually riding like complete knobs, with little or no regard for anyone else.

Hi all,

anyway...

Cheers,

Parkey5

Hiya..I have a similar story to yours...

Just went for the CBT Nov 07 never having ridden before, it bloody snowed & everfink....

Didnt start my lessons til the following April, had a few on the 125 to get back into the swing of it all then onto the ER5

Passed on August 13th :yay:

Got my first bike, a 1999 R6 in September...loving my lil crotch rocket... :lol: It does have its moody moments but Im getting on ok with it...

Hoping to get out on it this weekend..im a cage driver in the week at the mo and its hella frustrating <_< Nowt like a good blast to blow out the cob webs and what wonderful scenery you have up there...

Ride safe & enjoy :thumb:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online