Damn bikes!!

wayno
This post is 5591 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Got home from work last night, went out the back for a quick fag and thought, hmmm that's funny I can smell petrol. I went to investigate (still with a lit fag hanging out of my mouth, like an eeejit) and sure enough there's a nice little 6" wet patch under the FZR.

Of course, me being the typical bloke I am, thought, oh well, I filled her up at the petrol station just before I got in on Monday night, I must've stuck a bit much in, upon waking up this morning as high as a kite from breathing petrol fumes all night I think to myself maybe I'd better check see how my overflow is doing, only to be greeted by an 8" wet patch, and the impending thought of doom at having to strip down the carbs to clear the blockage.

I'm now sat at work like a schizoprenic, half of me thinking 'damn you fool, why the hell didn't you just buy a honda, they never go wrong (even though they're completely soulless, lifeless objects, except for the blade of course)' with the other half blissfully thinking, it'll be ok, there's just loads too much in the tank, it'lll stop overflowing soon (I know this not too be true because I checked the tank this morning and it's just got the normal amount in) :(

Don't know where I'm going with this but I hope everyone has a good day

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I feel your pain. The 'O' rings on the needle valves in my carbs were letting petrol pass by and the overflow pipes couldn't keep up with the flow and the crankcase completely filled with petrol as well. I lost 16 litres of fuel over the garage floor in total over two days and the outside of the carbs etc was coated in this furry white chrystal like shit.

Replaced the needle valve things and it has been perfect since but I was high for around three weeks I took in so much petrol vapour and my wifes aga engined car stunk of petrol for ages as it lives in the garage next to the bike :lol: .

With the price of petrol the way it is I should stick a bucket under the bike and collect it. I'm going to investigate further when I get home (figures crossed it'll have miraculousy healed itself today)

Well on the plus side it's not the carbs overfilling, on the minus side it's not coming out of the overflow :mellow:

Well on the plus side it's not the carbs overfilling, on the minus side it's not coming out of the overflow :mellow:

What overflow? if you mean one of the carbs give the one in question a tap with the butt of a hammer shaft just in case the float has somehow stuck. On another note, hasnt this bike got a vacuum operated fuel tap? if so this isnt doing its job because thare should be no flow with the engine stopped

What overflow? if you mean one of the carbs give the one in question a tap with the butt of a hammer shaft just in case the float has somehow stuck. On another note, hasnt this bike got a vacuum operated fuel tap? if so this isnt doing its job because thare should be no flow with the engine stopped

I meant the tank overflow, I was hoping i'd overfilled the tank, alas not. It's the gasket sealing the fuel pump to the tank that's pissing fuel, sod's law it's not the £2 o'ring, it'll be the £50+ top gasket. I've dried the bottom of the tank off and sat it over a bukcet, I'll check where's wet when I get home from work

check the fuel feed pipes, if there's so much as a pinprick of a hole then you won't see the leak until it's running (or in the case of fuel pumps,until the pipes under pressure). also check the ends of the pipes for tightness & cracking (due to the rubber hardening). the usual places for mysterious fuel leaks in my experience (usually found after carb strip downs, lol).

check the fuel feed pipes, if there's so much as a pinprick of a hole then you won't see the leak until it's running (or in the case of fuel pumps,until the pipes under pressure). also check the ends of the pipes for tightness & cracking (due to the rubber hardening). the usual places for mysterious fuel leaks in my experience (usually found after carb strip downs, lol).

I was wondering if it could be a hose or joint, I'll have to wait and see when I get home where's wet, it the tank's not wet I'll know it's the hose or joints. I just hope the tank's still there when I get home, it's sat on a bucket in the back garage.

IF it turns out to be the gasket, can you not cut another one from gasket paper and save yourself some cash?.

i managed to scrounge some gasket paper offcuts from my local Motorists Discount store and saved myself having to buy the £10 replacement NOS gasket

Well, I got home last night and it's definitely the fuel pump/tank seal that's leaking. Got a price from my local dealer and the seal is £29 inc VAT, now that's a shock, a good shock. I got my original price from the OEM parts website, and who'd have thought yamaha main dealer would be cheaper, not me that's for sure. Unfortunately the seal is not a stock item so looks like the bike's going to be off the road till the middle of next week, I hope it pisses down all weekend!!

With a bit of luck M&P may deliver my braided hoses today which means I can swap my calipers for the lovely blue spot ones I have whilst the bike's in several bits.

I'm feeling a bit better about the bike today, yesterday I was ready to cancel the insurance then push it up and down the road so the police could crush it.

P.S. Wild foamy, it's not a plain gasket it's a bit thick rubber seal, I had the same initial thought as you

we all get times when we just want to beat the shit out of our bikes because they keep breaking.

but once you get back on it and crack the throttle open, filling the street with the sound (and smell) of two stroke, it all comes flooding back why you ride bikes in the first place...

stick with it, ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online