Engine Oil/General Servicing Tips

hate_camel
This post is 5674 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone

I'm planning on giving my SR125 a service this weekend if the weather holds up. It will be the first time for me since I got the bike after doing my CBT last autumn. I don't have much mechanical knowledge, in fact part of the reason I got the bike was to teach myself all the basic stuff like this, but I'd appreciate a bit of advice.

In the Haynes manual it suggests 20W40 SE engine oil but reading around various forums I see a lot of people suggesting this is mainly used in hot climates and it could make the bike harder to start in cold weather. Plus it doesn't seem to be as widely available as 10W40. The owners manual doesn't really specify, it just has a chart with all of the grades listed against temperature. Anybody got any advice for my little 4 stroke?

The Haynes also is a lot more in depth than the owners manual (which is why I bought it I guess!) but it suggests that checking valve clearances is a three monthly task, and changing the fork oil six monthly. These both sound like big jobs to me (removing seat, fuel tank, fork legs etc) especially as I have no garage or driveway to work on. Do you guys do this as a routine maintenance job or not? When I bought the bike the dealer said that changing fork oil wasn't something you would normally do on these kinds of bike, so the 12 month service he included with the sale definitely didn't include that job!

Appreciate your advice and patience with a complete novice like me, cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi everyone

I'm planning on giving my SR125 a service this weekend if the weather holds up. It will be the first time for me since I got the bike after doing my CBT last autumn. I don't have much mechanical knowledge, in fact part of the reason I got the bike was to teach myself all the basic stuff like this, but I'd appreciate a bit of advice.

In the Haynes manual it suggests 20W40 SE engine oil but reading around various forums I see a lot of people suggesting this is mainly used in hot climates and it could make the bike harder to start in cold weather. Plus it doesn't seem to be as widely available as 10W40. The owners manual doesn't really specify, it just has a chart with all of the grades listed against temperature. Anybody got any advice for my little 4 stroke?

The Haynes also is a lot more in depth than the owners manual (which is why I bought it I guess!) but it suggests that checking valve clearances is a three monthly task, and changing the fork oil six monthly. These both sound like big jobs to me (removing seat, fuel tank, fork legs etc) especially as I have no garage or driveway to work on. Do you guys do this as a routine maintenance job or not? When I bought the bike the dealer said that changing fork oil wasn't something you would normally do on these kinds of bike, so the 12 month service he included with the sale definitely didn't include that job!

Appreciate your advice and patience with a complete novice like me, cheers

Hi There,

the correct oil to use would 10w40, but while changing the oil you might as well put a filter in, valve clearence sould be checked at 3000 mile intervals (as per Yamaha schedule) or 3 months whichever comes sooner, but to be honest 3000 mile may be a bit of a short interval. The fork oil would normally last about 9,000 miles before it starts to breaks down

regards Jim

Hi Jim, thanks for the info, I'll be hoping for a dry weekend so I can get started with this.

Hi.

dont forgetto adjust the cam chain .. SR125's tended to suffer from this rather than valve clearences

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online