R1 Brake Calipers on YZF750 forks?

Elimax
This post is 3136 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi folks:

Any of you know if 1998 Yamaha R1 Blue Spot front brake calipers will fit (without mods) to 1994 YZF750 forks?

Thanks very much!

Elimax

As far as I know they do fit, but you have to machine a circular clearance in the fork leg to take the round shape (where the pistons sit). If you can find a close up pic of an FZR600R 94/95 model you will see the clearance I mena as these already have them.

So in short it's not a straight bolt on. I don't have a YZF, but I'm 99% sure this is correct, hopefully someone can confirm one way or the other

As far as I know they do fit, but you have to machine a circular clearance in the fork leg to take the round shape (where the pistons sit). If you can find a close up pic of an FZR600R 94/95 model you will see the clearance I mena as these already have them.

So in short it's not a straight bolt on. I don't have a YZF, but I'm 99% sure this is correct, hopefully someone can confirm one way or the other

i did this when i fitted gold spots to my FZR, i used a half-round file to accomodate the piston. Looks factory spec.

So, rf9rider, are those also brake discs from an R1 Yamaha, and do they fit without mods to the YZF750 wheel?

Thanks very much!

Aaron

The discs are from an early Ducati 916, fit straight on with no mods.

I have a list of discs that fit, i`ll look it out for you, though most Ducati 320mm discs wil fit.

As has been said, the only mods needed is to remove a piece of the fork bottom where the round part of the R1 calipers touch.

Have a look here, a write up on doing this from start to finish.

http://www.exup1000.co.uk/workshop/calipers.htm

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

why would you want to go to a 6 piston caliper to a 4 piston one though

1. They are easier/cheaper to service. (4 pistons instead of 6)

2. The R1 callipers are of one piece construction, so theoretically no sideways flexing, so should work better.

3. Cosmetically, they look better, in my opinion!

4. The later "Goldspots" have ally pistons in, which are lighter, so less prone to sticking and need less force to brake.

• 1 year later...

The discs are from an early Ducati 916, fit straight on with no mods.

I have a list of discs that fit, i`ll look it out for you, though most Ducati 320mm discs wil fit.

As has been said, the only mods needed is to remove a piece of the fork bottom where the round part of the R1 calipers touch.

Have a look here, a write up on doing this from start to finish.

http://www.exup1000.co.uk/workshop/calipers.htm

Hi rf9rider,

would you be able to dig out that list of brake disc options for the YZF 750? A guy at work is breaking his CBR1000 from the same era and offered me the dics, i'm must not sure if they'll fit or if there's anything else i need to worry about by changing to a different type of disc. Any help would be appreciated!

ben40d

Aren't the old six pots a bit too manly for the discs and tend to warp them from such heavy braking?

• 4 months later...

The old Six pots are indeed 'Too Manly for the discs' and bind regularly causing the discs to Warp... I went through 4 sets of discs on my YZF before the current set up..

I am currently running

R1 Blue Spots

PFM Iron Discs

EBC Organic Pads (to match the Iron Discs) with a little material removed from the leading edge of the pad to avoid the pads fouling on the disc buttons (as mentioned in the earler post) - cheaper than running Ducati Discs and I like my PFMs

An R6 Master Cylinder with the YZF Lever (the stock YZF Master Cylinder is designed for 6 pots and not 4 so feels very solid and does not provide much feedback)

The bottom of the forks were filled out to clear the calipers as per previous posts, but nothing difficult...

Andy

I'm going to be making a new rear caliper hanger this week so that a blue spot rear will bolt straight onto the YZF 750 (will probably need a new torsion bar). If anyone is interested give me a shout, I will probably do them for about £25 - £30 delivered (depending on how much work is involved)

Cheers

Wayne

I don't know for sure, but I would imagine the 4 piston caliper will be lighter than the 6 piston caliper. And if it is, it will reduce the unsprung weight. Which can only be a good thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Why would Yamaha move from 6-pot on the 1993 125bhp YZF750 to 4-pot on the 1998 150bhp R1...?

# pots does not equal better brakes! ;)

• 1 month later...

Exactly.... A lot of Manufactures went to 6 pots during the 90's but have since reverted to 4 pots, Suzuki (GSXR's) Honda, Kawasaki all ran 6 pot callipers at some stage on their top level sports bikes but have since switched back to 4 pots... fashion has a lot to do with what is getting fitted which does not necesarily mean the performance is actually any better. I am certainly much happier with the performance and feel from the four pots I have on now and hopefully they won't have the appetite for discs that my original six pots had ....

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Dave this post is almost 6 years old mate you'll have more luck if you ask in the Workshop section by starting a new post, right after you say hello in the new member section (hint)