DT175MX swingarm removal

effit
This post is 5681 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello folks,

I am doing up a wee 175 at the moment and need to take the swingarm off to clean up and paint or powdercoat.

I have looked at the haynes manual but it is of limited help as the book is removing a swingarm on a different model.

I`d rather have a go myself but if its a hell of a job I may put it in the garage over the road from me(would rather not as I say) Has anyone ever done this before? any tips/guidance greatfully received...

Thanks everyone

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello folks,

I am doing up a wee 175 at the moment and need to take the swingarm off to clean up and paint or powdercoat.

I have looked at the haynes manual but it is of limited help as the book is removing a swingarm on a different model.

I`d rather have a go myself but if its a hell of a job I may put it in the garage over the road from me(would rather not as I say) Has anyone ever done this before? any tips/guidance greatfully received...

Thanks everyone

Hi effit, its not a hard job normally but corrosion and siezed pivot pins can make it that way.

First remove the split pin and slacken the nut on the bottom pivot bolt

With a socket and wrench on the opposite side try to turn the bolt back and forth to check it is free to move

Once you have it moving, back off the nut until it is flush with end of the pivot pin

Place the bike on blocks or something under the sump guard (I use a crate with a wooden block) so that the bike stands upright and the rear wheel is off the ground

Remove the rear wheel, seat and fuel tank (I suggest you remove the swing arm complete with the shock absorber/damper) now drift out the bottom pivot bolt ***(see note)***

Remove the bolt holding the end of the shock absorber in the frame spine

Withdraw the swing arm and shock absorber

Finally remove the pivot pin attaching the shock to the swing arm, this is likely to be seized and you may have to enlist some help to hold the pin between the open jaws of a vice while you drive out the pin

*** you may have to support the frame against something solid such as a wall by wedging a stout piece of wood or something between the two, this will stop the frame from flexing and so your hammer blows will not be absorbed and therefore wasted*** if you get my drift...no pun intended