xj600 powerband

seca2ya
This post is 3506 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi everybody,

so as I was doing a little spirited driving with my dad here in Carlsbad, California I noticed something peculiar. Okay, I know very well that a 1996 VFR 750 has a much more powerful engine, powerband is suffitiently different but where the hell is our power band?

In 3rd gear I feel a little umph but mostly across the board the acceleration is just blah. Now, it does seem to have a good deal of torque in the lower gears so I'm able to pull through a turn (or continue to pull through, since I'm on the throttle all the time right? ) but where have you guys noticed the power band sitting at?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i havnt really noticed a powerband cos mine gets full bore most of the time, theyre quick when they need to be thats all i can say :huh:

hi everybody,

so as I was doing a little spirited driving with my dad here in Carlsbad, California I noticed something peculiar. Okay, I know very well that a 1996 VFR 750 has a much more powerful engine, powerband is suffitiently different but where the hell is our power band?

In 3rd gear I feel a little umph but mostly across the board the acceleration is just blah. Now, it does seem to have a good deal of torque in the lower gears so I'm able to pull through a turn (or continue to pull through, since I'm on the throttle all the time right? ) but where have you guys noticed the power band sitting at?

Hi

I guess the power band was left back at the factory !!! :lol: I would guess it never had one from experence with the XJ550/600, FZ600 (air cooled) & FZ600 water cooled they never seemd to have a power band they just delivered power progresively, not knowing what the Seca is based on (XJ/FZ600 aircooled/watercooled or Diversion) it would be difficult to answer the question as to date I have not ridden the baby Diversion (which may have a powerband) the other modals mentioned for sure did not.

Regards Jim

Hi

I guess the power band was left back at the factory !!! :lol: I would guess it never had one from experence with the XJ550/600, FZ600 (air cooled) & FZ600 water cooled they never seemd to have a power band they just delivered power progresively, not knowing what the Seca is based on (XJ/FZ600 aircooled/watercooled or Diversion) it would be difficult to answer the question as to date I have not ridden the baby Diversion (which may have a powerband) the other modals mentioned for sure did not.

Regards Jim

hi jim ,i have an fz600 1987, you mention air cooled and water cooled but mine has an oil filled rad is this classed as air cooled?,have only had the bike a few weeks is there any thing i should be aware of that is a common problem with these bikes regards ,paul

ignore this jim just seen the answer in the fz project thread

Hi

Regards Jim

if im correct the seca is the us name for the diversion 600 :unsure: i think

hi jim ,i have an fz600 1987, you mention air cooled and water cooled but mine has an oil filled rad is this classed as air cooled?,have only had the bike a few weeks is there any thing i should be aware of that is a common problem with these bikes regards ,paul

ignore this jim just seen the answer in the fz project thread

Hi Paul,

which have you got ?

Regards Jim

if im correct the seca is the us name for the diversion 600 :unsure: i think

Hi,

Seca was used in all forms of XJ .. at one point I had an XJ750 Seca with the cyclom system fitted (1983) ... the Divi was a twinkle in it's designers eye at that point ! :lol:

Regards Jim

• 5 years later...

Having owned a 1997 Divi 600 and now a 1990 pre-divi xj600 (seca), the older bike (radian) is a far better bike. It has much more power above 5000 rpm and the power kicks in between 7000 and 9000 rpm. It's getting a bit old now but I wouldn't swap it for the later bike.

Having said that, it's not like the power band on a RD350!

Hatty, This is a 2009 post, your not likely to get an answer mate as this is well past it's sell by date plus 4 stroke don't have a power band as such it's usually 2 strokes that have an actual sweet spot. Might be an idea to do an INTRO in the New members section as well. (hint)

This post is 3506 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.