Hello all

jsanfor
This post is 5665 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys, I'm new here. I have a 75' XS 500 that I've been restoring for awhile now. When I got the bike the engine was frozen up, so i rebuilt the engine and cleaned everything up, new gaskets and the whole deal. However, when I'm kicking it over I can only get it to backfire. There is spark in both plugs and the carbs have been cleaned by my local shop. Any ideas on whats going on?

Thanks for your help

- Jeff

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey guys, I'm new here. I have a 75' XS 500 that I've been restoring for awhile now. When I got the bike the engine was frozen up, so i rebuilt the engine and cleaned everything up, new gaskets and the whole deal. However, when I'm kicking it over I can only get it to backfire. There is spark in both plugs and the carbs have been cleaned by my local shop. Any ideas on whats going on?

Thanks for your help

- Jeff

sounds like timing or you swapped over the coils

:welcome: to the forum

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Drewpy for your reply but it still wont kick over.

Does anyone know what the factory position is for the advance wheel (I think thats what its called at least, I am speaking of the plate the points are on). I have it set in the middle as of now.

Also I am pretty sure the settings on my carbs are completely wrong (I have the older keihin carbs). Ive read that they should be set between one to two turns out from gently closed, so does that mean I should try 1 1/2 turns out?

Thanks for your help guys,

- Jeff

Thanks Drewpy for your reply but it still wont kick over.

Does anyone know what the factory position is for the advance wheel (I think thats what its called at least, I am speaking of the plate the points are on). I have it set in the middle as of now.

Also I am pretty sure the settings on my carbs are completely wrong (I have the older keihin carbs). Ive read that they should be set between one to two turns out from gently closed, so does that mean I should try 1 1/2 turns out?

Thanks for your help guys,

- Jeff

the plate times one set of points and a smaller plate (on the main plate) sets the other. you need to time them via the left crank cover cover and the points should open on LF and RF (left and right) use a multimeter or bulb and battery to know when they open.

I'd do 2 1/2 turns out on the carsb, although it won;t prevent it from starting.

If the ignition is timed, just chuck some fuel in the bore and heat up the spark plug to fire it up!!

Ok, I think I have the carbs tuned up (even though it doesnt matter much yet) but I can't figure out the timing. I know how to adjust each plate separately but I can't figure out what you mean by the points should open on left and right. Are there any diagrams or instruction manuals that you all know of? I'm completely clueless with timing issues so please pardon my dumbness. ;)

Thanks again

- Jeff

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online