1981 XS 400 Drum Question

ajc99z
This post is 5607 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

In looking at the drum this evening, I'm curious if the rectangular shaped piece should rest flush instead of leaving the gap shown (red lines show the gap)? Also, never worked with a drum before, any tips for removing the shoes?

004_edit_be3bf.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Looking at the picture am i right in saying that you still have the drum connected to the cables if so then you will find if you remove the cables the shoes will fit flush against the operating cam.The gap is where the cables have taken up the freeplay in the shoes / drum and is normal.When removing the shoes leave the springs connected and pull the shoes up in a V shape doing the same in reverse when refitting. When refitting clean the shoes and put a LIGHT smear of copperslip on the pivots and operating cam where the shoes fit. Tony.

In looking at the drum this evening, I'm curious if the rectangular shaped piece should rest flush instead of leaving the gap shown (red lines show the gap)? Also, never worked with a drum before, any tips for removing the shoes?

Hi There,

you have a double leading shoe not worked on one of them for years and the setup is not easy

From the photo the cable is connected first of disconnect it or back the cable adjustment off if the 2 cams do not return flat (the one may the other not perhaps depends on previous adjustments).

If the cams are siezed in the plate you have a job on !!! remove the shoes by pulling them 90 degrees to the plate.

Mark the splined section of the cams against the arms so they go back on in the correct position (later bikes had dots on the cams which ment you didn't need to do that).

Remove the arms from the brake plate clean and reinstall.

Refit the shoes the cams should now be level if not you will need to adjust the rod that links the 2 cams together until such point that both cams are level. All other adjustment should be made via the cable adjuster and you should have job done !!

If you get it wrong you will get a very odd noise from the brake when applied.

Regards Jim

The cables are indeed attached. The brake cable is so loose that i wouldn't suspect it is the reason the cam isn't sitting flush. I'll take it off to be sure. My guess is that the arms on the outside of the hub need some adjusting.

As far as removing the shoes, my replacement shoes didn't come with springs. Is this typical? The old springs seem to be fine, think they would be OK to reuse? Do the cams simply pull out once the arms on the other side are removed?

Appreciate the good responses.

The cables are indeed attached. The brake cable is so loose that i wouldn't suspect it is the reason the cam isn't sitting flush. I'll take it off to be sure. My guess is that the arms on the outside of the hub need some adjusting.

As far as removing the shoes, my replacement shoes didn't come with springs. Is this typical? The old springs seem to be fine, think they would be OK to reuse? Do the cams simply pull out once the arms on the other side are removed?

Appreciate the good responses.

The shoes to supplied without springs is normal .. follow the previous post for the adjustment ... take your time as they are difficult to get set up correctly.

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online