My Next Step Once Bike Is Running?

kelpike
This post is 5682 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just bought a 1986 FJ1200. The bike had sat for a long time, so I had the carbs rebuilt and installed them on the bike. I didn't put the air filters on yet, I just wanted to see if it would run. The bike would run with the choke on full, however, it would stall if I tried to close the choke or turn the throttle. I am going to install the filters now, is there anything else I should do while I have the tank off, or should I just install the filters and then see how that affects the choke and throttle? The bike has the K&N single filters. Thanks for any replies.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You have proved it will run,,,,,,, you have also proved that it runs very weak with out the filters in place :blink:

Put the filters back and see what happens ??

Did the bike have pod filters before you bought it , or have you added them since ??

put the filters back on as without them it will run weak and cause problems later on.

also check the fuel line and tank for obstructions and give it a good run, get the engine nice and warm to get rid of any condensation and to get it all moving again.

Update to post: I installed the air filters and got the bike running. After letting it warm up for quite a while I was able to shut the choke off and the throttle is working fine. It is idling very high. How do I turn the idle down? I have looked in my manual, but it was a little confusing with all the different carb adjustments.

To adjust the idle there is a large Knurled Knob in the middle underneath the carbs.

Takes a few attempts,(Wear Gloves you tend to burn your hands on the barrels) just give it a good few blips after each udjustment, could be running a bit lean with single filters. The owners Club recomend fitting a Jet correction kit.

Adam.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online