Engine rebuild kits

EPP
This post is 4419 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I am considering the possiblity of an engine rebuild on my XJ600. There's a regular knocking noise coming from (I think) the crankcase that's audible at tickover and even more so using a screwdriver as a 'stethoscope' pressed to the engine. The engine seems to run absuolutely fine, but I'd rather get this sorted before it fails properly.

Where can i buy all the bearings/gaskets/etc that I'll need, or should I be giving up on this bike?

Cheers!

Ewan

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all,

I am considering the possiblity of an engine rebuild on my XJ600. There's a regular knocking noise coming from (I think) the crankcase that's audible at tickover and even more so using a screwdriver as a 'stethoscope' pressed to the engine. The engine seems to run absuolutely fine, but I'd rather get this sorted before it fails properly.

Where can i buy all the bearings/gaskets/etc that I'll need, or should I be giving up on this bike?

Cheers!

Ewan

yea give up!!...........not

you need to get your parts together via the online parts book try www.cmsnl.com and then get a manual and read it.

if the noise is on tick over it usually means clutch, but without hearing it and from where can't tell ya too much. why not act daft and see a bike mechanic who will be able to diagnose it straight away?

yea give up!!...........not

you need to get your parts together via the online parts book try www.cmsnl.com and then get a manual and read it.

if the noise is on tick over it usually means clutch, but without hearing it and from where can't tell ya too much. why not act daft and see a bike mechanic who will be able to diagnose it straight away?

There's a few noises... One is the usual xj600 clutch rattle. I fabricated a replacement pin to reduce the play of of the oil pump drive gear on the back of the clutch basket (which is apparently a common cause) whilst I had the clutch apart to replace the friction plates and clutch springs. Unfortunately this didn't fix it. There also seems to be a rattle from deeper within the transmission mechanism.

If you pull the clutch lever in, the clutch rattle goes - it's not the thrust bearing (it's in good condition), I reckon it's the pull rod rattling in it's housing, which goes when under load (from pulling the clutch). If you engage 1st, apply the brakes and release the clutch to biting point to load the engine, all the rattles go very quiet.

However, all this seems to independent of the regular knocking noise that appears to come from the crankcase when the engine's hot.

The bike's actually with a mechanic now! I demonstrated the noises and stressed it was the knocking noise I was interested in, as I reckoned I knew what was happening in the clutch. He wasn't sure, and I agreed for him to spend an hour looking into it. Phoned today, and all he's done is pull the clutch open again and confirm what I already knew about the pull rod. A total waste of money... The shop said a strip down and rebuild would be the only way to work it out.

I'll have a look into getting all the parts together, although i really don't have the time for this at the mo! Already got the workshop manual and have skim read through all the steps.

Cheers

• 3 years later...

There's a few noises... One is the usual xj600 clutch rattle. I fabricated a replacement pin to reduce the play of of the oil pump drive gear on the back of the clutch basket (which is apparently a common cause) whilst I had the clutch apart to replace the friction plates and clutch springs. Unfortunately this didn't fix it. There also seems to be a rattle from deeper within the transmission mechanism.

If you pull the clutch lever in, the clutch rattle goes - it's not the thrust bearing (it's in good condition), I reckon it's the pull rod rattling in it's housing, which goes when under load (from pulling the clutch). If you engage 1st, apply the brakes and release the clutch to biting point to load the engine, all the rattles go very quiet.

However, all this seems to independent of the regular knocking noise that appears to come from the crankcase when the engine's hot.

The bike's actually with a mechanic now! I demonstrated the noises and stressed it was the knocking noise I was interested in, as I reckoned I knew what was happening in the clutch. He wasn't sure, and I agreed for him to spend an hour looking into it. Phoned today, and all he's done is pull the clutch open again and confirm what I already knew about the pull rod. A total waste of money... The shop said a strip down and rebuild would be the only way to work it out.

I'll have a look into getting all the parts together, although i really don't have the time for this at the mo! Already got the workshop manual and have skim read through all the steps.

Cheers

I know this thread is inactive since a while, but I'm planning an engine rebuild of my Divvy. Did you do the rebuild? Did you manage to get rid of the knocking noise? Ware there any parts worn out that you needed to change? Thanks.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online