Milky Oil was waterless XJ600

Iceman2211
This post is 5610 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys I have just bought my very first BIg Bike(if a 600 is a big bike??) only to find that the gearbox oil is very milky having read some of the other threads they mostly point to a water cooling problem , But I dont as far as i know have a water cooling system I was lead to believe it was air cooled so where is the water coming from?? also when the bike gets hot I have noticed that that the overflow pipe that leads to the airbox is seeping quantities on milky water/oil mix should i be concerned or is just that the bike may have been in a showroom for a while? please help!! I wish to go back to the seller fully armed with all the info i can! Many Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

being air cooled, the only thing I can think of is that water has somehow gotten into the gearbox or elsewhere in the engine, maybe through a broken seal.

Air cooled, no radiator under the headstock:

yamaha-xj-600-s-n-diversion-3.jpg

As your bike is aircooled the milky oil is caused by condensation in the crankcase caused by the engine not getting hot enough usually caused by too many short journeys. I would suggest giving the bike a good run and giving the bike an oil and filter change.Tony.

Could be that the bike has been stood for a long time and condensation has gathered inside the engine with it not being started, now you are using it and the engine has got warm, the condensated water has mixed with the oil and hence the milky looking oil,, usualy a good run and getting the engine hot will get rid of the water, but in extreme cases like yours an oil and filter change is a good idea.........

I think that is what I would go for just to be on the safe side !! Also clean out the breather pipe and air filter box.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online