Dt175 Front Fork Suspension Problems and Question!1976 1975 1974 Dt 175

Rapco
This post is 5443 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi i got a 1974-75-76 dt175( i thinks it's a 76 but cant tell for sure) and i had to dismantle the fork because of a leaky seal. It has been time that it is now sitting in my basement and i want to put it back togeter. Put now one piece is missing... or not! :huh:

thats the point! click tis link, it's the part # 11. i only have 1 for the 2 fork.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycl.../m7081sch227985

the piece is exactly like the #9 but smaller, and it seems to go under #3...on this one

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycl.../m7079sch217765

(on this schematic, the inner tube is splitted in 2... it's not supposed to be?...huh?)

the piece is not the inner piston, it's a small metal cylinder just like #9... :huh:

should i put only one in one fork or not at all?

what does it doe(i think it's purpose is when bottoming out...but then again, when you'r bottomoing, somethin' got to hit!). This would mean that if that thing is used when bottoming the fork, the inner tube is getting the bang inside, not at the low tip of it? :huh:<_<

thanks again for your replies!

RAAAAAAPCO!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It's pretty difficault to say for sure not being able to see the part in the flesh so to speak. Looking at the diagrams it would suggest you need all the components for the forks to operate correctly.

I would think you should be able to purchase the relevant missing parts as I know Yamaha still do parts for the DT175, it doesn't look expensive.

hi i got a 1974-75-76 dt175( i thinks it's a 76 but cant tell for sure) and i had to dismantle the fork because of a leaky seal. It has been time that it is now sitting in my basement and i want to put it back togeter. Put now one piece is missing... or not! :huh:

thats the point! click tis link, it's the part # 11. i only have 1 for the 2 fork.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycl.../m7081sch227985

the piece is exactly like the #9 but smaller, and it seems to go under #3...on this one

(on this schematic, the inner tube is splitted in 2... it's not supposed to be?...huh?)

the piece is not the inner piston, it's a small metal cylinder just like #9... :huh:

should i put only one in one fork or not at all?

what does it doe(i think it's purpose is when bottoming out...but then again, when you'r bottomoing, somethin' got to hit!). This would mean that if that thing is used when bottoming the fork, the inner tube is getting the bang inside, not at the low tip of it? :huh:<_<

thanks again for your replies!

RAAAAAAPCO!

That is the fork piston, you need it.

That is the fork piston, you need it.

Here you go i have the picture. Acutally i dont it's it the piston, take a look at it.

it's the part on the left. Those two on the right go on the top of the suspension springs.

DSC03811.jpg

my guess is that it goes this way:

DSC03812.jpg

And like that if fitted with the inner tube.

DSC03815.jpg

I have the piston inside the inner tube, i just did not removed it. The fact is that if i put it like on the last picture, if the suspension bottom, it's the piece that is gonna be banging inside the inner tube, right on the piston. If i dont put it, it's the inner tube bas that will hit directly the bottom. Could the inner bent/broke hiting the bottom? and could the inner piston break is that piece come banging in?

this is what it's like when the "unknow part" is pushed against the piston inside the inner tube. You also lose travel with that piece.

DSC03816.jpg

-

-

so what do you think and suggest? should i go without it or with only one on(i doubt)... :huh:

also how much oil do you put in it? 120cc?

thanks!

Are you sure that this part isnt the split collar that goes on the wheel spindle where the fork bottom clamp is on the right hand fork leg...it sure looks like it to me.

See Here item 16 I think

******* :angry: ARGHT!

you are sooooooo right! shit it cant figure out why i did not figured it out!

thank you soo much!

hey, i owe you one!

thanks again! :D

oh yeah and by the way, do you know how much 10w30 oil i should put in each fork? I read 120cc somewhere and 126cc another place...

so hoe much should i put in?

thanks again!

oh yeah and by the way, do you know how much 10w30 oil i should put in each fork? I read 120cc somewhere and 126cc another place...

so hoe much should i put in?

thanks again!

128.5cc of 10, 20 or 30 wt oil...iwould use 30 myself as I weigh more than a gnat!!

128.5cc of 10, 20 or 30 wt oil...iwould use 30 myself as I weigh more than a gnat!!

thanks again ! that being done, do you know if i did not putted back the 27 and 28# item , would it weaken the fork/triple clamp?

Because my headlight is burnt, i dont want to buy a new globe and i only use my bike for trail/offroad.

So would it be safe not to put them or not, meaning that the fork would be weaker?

thanks!

Wont make any difference to the strength of the fork, If your'e not going to need the light then you dont need to fit it or the brackets., bear in mind though that a lot of cables are routed through the headlamp, so you will have to do something with these to keep it all working (the bits you need) and tidy ;)

Wont make any difference to the strength of the fork, If your'e not going to need the light then you dont need to fit it or the brackets., bear in mind though that a lot of cables are routed through the headlamp, so you will have to do something with these to keep it all working (the bits you need) and tidy ;)

haha yeah that already done,

i removed all the wire except for the kill switch! I done all the wire one y one to make sure one was not needed to run the engine( as on my puch if the horn is not connected, the engine wont start).I'm happy with this bike. It's really well done. PLs the engine really pulls! the last remaining thing to do is work my clutch. Its seems that it's slipping. I tried to set something with the pushrod screw but that didnt worked... I'ts odd, wen you screw it, the is like 2 time you feel like you are touching the rod... maybe the cluth disk are worn to... Got to work on that! If you have any hint or advice, there welcome!

thanks again!

Rapco!

by the way, just for curiosity, do you run your dt synthetic 2 stroke or just regular? I found out that with synthetic it was a just too smokey!

• 2 months later...

hi, i have done my suspension a while ago, with new fork seal, but i just dont like the feeling. I put 10w30 oil. The front suspension is way to smooth, when it goes down and come up, it's slow and way to easy to push down. If i put mono-grade 30 weight oil, would that change a lot? My weight is 170lbs and the front fork suck. Would that help?

thank you very much

RApcO!

Yep, you should have put fork oil in, it comes as a mono grade and is specially made for forks. They should be smooth and easy though but you have lots of travel so shouldnt be a problem although they do dive a bit under braking!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online