R1 - Which Oil ?

blackdevil
This post is 5556 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am doing a service with a mate for the first time on my 2007 R1. Ive got all the bits from the dealers to do the job. But when it came to the Oil I was just going to use the recommended YAMALUBE oil in it ,But my dealer only stocks Shell Advance. I had a choice between a 10/40 semi and a 10/40 ultra Fully synth, which was £10 more. I went for the more expensive option thinking you get what you pay for. But my mate said he wold use the semi as a full would make my clutch wear out alot quicker as he has had friends with Blackbirds who have used fully and there clutchs have lasted 1500 miles. Is my Grease monkey mate full of it ( HE DOES RIDE A HONDA) or has anyone had this experience, I can return the oil , WHAT DO YOU USE ? I NEED TO KNOW ASAP AS WE ARE DOING THE SERVICE TOMORROW ( WED ) OH. BY THE WAY THE 2009 R1 IS BEING LAUNCHED AT SQUIRES / SHUBURN . ON FRI @ 7 PM IF YOU DIDNT ALREADY KNOW. Cheers.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I am doing a service with a mate for the first time on my 2007 R1. Ive got all the bits from the dealers to do the job. But when it came to the Oil I was just going to use the recommended YAMALUBE oil in it ,But my dealer only stocks Shell Advance. I had a choice between a 10/40 semi and a 10/40 ultra Fully synth, which was £10 more. I went for the more expensive option thinking you get what you pay for. But my mate said he wold use the semi as a full would make my clutch wear out alot quicker as he has had friends with Blackbirds who have used fully and there clutchs have lasted 1500 miles. Is my Grease monkey mate full of it ( HE DOES RIDE A HONDA) or has anyone had this experience, I can return the oil , WHAT DO YOU USE ? I NEED TO KNOW ASAP AS WE ARE DOING THE SERVICE TOMORROW ( WED ) OH. BY THE WAY THE 2009 R1 IS BEING LAUNCHED AT SQUIRES / SHUBURN . ON FRI @ 7 PM IF YOU DIDNT ALREADY KNOW. Cheers.

Well the Blackbirds that frequent my abode tend to do nuts/fat balls & bacon rinds :lol: .. oh sorry you ment that Honda thing... I would replace the oil on your machine with the same type & grade that it has already, using another type of oil may cause chemical reactions with the oil residue from the previous type (turning to goo) which in turn could block the oil ways but my knowledge on molymers & polymers is dated and the 2 oils may co habit together fine !

Regards Jim

Thanks Jim. Sounds like good advice, only now Ive got to do a 20 mile round trip into Leeds to return the bloody oil ! Ah well. Sounds like like you know a bit about twitching too. I shall keep a look out for Blackbirds when going into Leeds, Although most of the time travelling through the city all you tend to spot is pairs of Great Tits. ( Naughty! ). Thanks - BLACKDEVIL

Oil is very subjective, you can / will hear all sorts of stories / theories, but unless you're running the bike at full throttle 90% of the time ie Superbike racer then semi-synthetic will always be the correct choice.

Running fully synthetic is an expense that's not needed and as long as you drain the old oil and re-fill with fresh oil it really doesn't matter what brand oil you use. Obviously you want motorcycle oil but that's all that really matters.

And yes your mate is right about clutches, you will have problems running fully synthetic, the clutch is more likely to keep slipping than wear out.

Doing the service yourself is very satisfying and a good cost saving from dealers / stealers costs.

P.S. If you run the bike for a few minutes before draining the oil it will heat up and thin out enabling pretty much every last drop to be drained.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online