Exup valve

axl
This post is 7236 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yes, but why? yamaha spent a lot of time researching the Exup valve it's there for a reason, you could still put an aftermarket sys on and leave the exup in, just a thought 8)

You would have to re jet, and you would lose a whole load of mid range power. Wouldnt be the best at pulling away from the lights etc either.

Its there for a reason, so I would only change it if you are constantly at the top of the rev range.

I'd just heard a few stories last night while on a run, they need constant looking after, and when/if they do break they cost a bloody fortune.

Yea Yam obviously put alot time/money/thought in it, well yea when you put it like that, I guess they know best.

Like you say it's there for a reason, I'm kinda scared of it breaking thats all.

hey axl, aslong as its greased using the proper heat resistent grease (pretty expensive though) then it should last for ages, theres also plenty to be had on ebay if it does ever go.

• Admin

You can get rid of the exup valve, but to do it ***properly*** will take a serious amount of time and rolling road tuning and unless your going to be track racing isnt worth the trouble as such little gains and only top end i seem to remember

cant remember what its called, but its around £30 for a small tube :shock:

• Admin

I just use lithium grease and do it regularly, havent noticed the heat affecting it too much and you get a massive tub of the stuff for about a £5

• 2 months later...

i got a guy at work to get me some copper grease and its good to 800C but the EXUP is S*&^. why yamaha had to bother with it i'll never know.

i think it was to really get up my nose. my Y2K R1 doesnt seem to like it too much. the bike has had little use from new with only 3700 miles on the clock and three strips and rebuilds of the Exup mechanism but i still get that 7000 tango after a short run.

the cables were oiled up the plate was checked and the ends greased up with copper grease and another working servo fitted and the tango remains.

dynometer tests have shown that the difference between fitted and not is so small that it's almost insignificant.

you pay your money and make your choice.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online