1979 xs400 forks, carbs, ignition

rockstar81
This post is 5608 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Got a 1979 xs400 F project chopper. I was wondering if anybody knew the length of the fork tubes (with the sliders off)? I need to add 2 inches to them and didn't know if there was another fork set out there for 33mm tudes that had a longer length or if there is some sort of extension I can get. The carbs situation...I've looked thru all the threads on carbs and can't seem to find what I think I need. I need the pilot and jet sizes for the original carbs for this bike. I'd like to rebuild the whole thing, just don't know what sizes to get. I'm thinking of putting on the pod style air filters and don't know if that will affect what sizes I need. Now for the ignition. Timing has been a pain in the arse. The points have to be readjusted just about every time I fire the thing up. I'd really like to put an electronic ignition on it, but don't know if there's one out there that will fit. I emailed Boyer and they said no...so I'm stuck. Will an EI from an '82 xs400 fit? Anybody done anything this nuts? I'm a noobie to this so if it sounds ridiculous it's quite possible it is. Thanks in advance for the help!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Got a 1979 xs400 F project chopper. I was wondering if anybody knew the length of the fork tubes (with the sliders off)? I need to add 2 inches to them and didn't know if there was another fork set out there for 33mm tubes that had a longer length or if there is some sort of extension I can get.

can't help, fork spring length is 502mm though!

The carbs situation...I've looked thru all the threads on carbs and can't seem to find what I think I need. I need the pilot and jet sizes for the original carbs for this bike. I'd like to rebuild the whole thing, just don't know what sizes to get.

main jet 132.5

air jet 45

jet needle-clip position 5Z1-3

needle jet X-6

pilot jet 42.5

starter jet 30

fuel level 32 +/- 1mm

I'm thinking of putting on the pod style air filters and don't know if that will affect what sizes I need. Now for the ignition. Timing has been a pain in the arse. The points have to be readjusted just about every time I fire the thing up. I'd really like to put an electronic ignition on it, but don't know if there's one out there that will fit. I emailed Boyer and they said no...so I'm stuck. Will an EI from an '82 xs400 fit? Anybody done anything this nuts? I'm a noobie to this so if it sounds ridiculous it's quite possible it is. Thanks in advance for the help!

conacts are reliable normally!

neutronic (newtronic?) had a system which replaced the contacts, there may be some knocking around in america.

I had a box made in germany which used the contacts to trigger the eletronics. so far 100% relianble and I can go back to analogue if it fails on the road!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online