XJR 400 lacking low end pick up

MrGlen
This post is 5690 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I recently purchased a 1993 XJR400 for my wife.

It needed a lot of love and attention, to which I have certainly given. Having spent the last two weeks fixing her up,

re-spraying scratched engine casings, putting a set of Renthals on, new plugs, oil and filter change, un-seized the front brakes, put new fork oil seals and dust seals on, plus a lot of polishing bolts and metal bits, new streetfighter headlamps, battery etc etc.

I finally finished and took the Yam out for a spin.

The engine sounds as sweet as a nut, but as I opened up the throttle I was disappointed with the low end pick up, when it reached 10-11,000 revs it seemed to pull a bit better.

Is this normal for a XJR400? I don't know if its just me, cos a ride a ZRX1200 maybe?

Then it suddenly dawned on me, has it got a restrictor kit fitted?

So back to the garage i went, took the tank off again finally managed to get two of the top casings of the carbs, the outer two.

There didn't seem to be any washers sitting in there, but i dont know if they get fitted in just two carbs

(probably the two i cant get off).

[b]Can anyone help me, please. Does anyone else have a XJR400 who can fill me in with the performance low down?

Thank you

MrGlen

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.