Can you help

forddude
This post is 5688 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Althog iv had my bike licene for 5 years iv not done a lot off miels so think off myself as not a exprienaced reider.

so when i bought my virago my second bike( the vfr soon for sale i thnik lol ) The guy where id bought it from asked had i ever riden a shaft drive befor i no he then said dont change down at speed slow with engien and then change down or you will lock the back wheel up.

but would it be safe to change down to over take say from 5 to 4 at duel carage way speeds. Im just not shure and dint wont to try just in case i lock up Thanks Andy

:offtopic: Ps how do i get the spell checker to work

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You should be fine dropping down 1 gear for overtaking on Dual CarriageWay speeds.....

It's all down to how you use the clutch & your engine speed. ;)

Althog iv had my bike licene for 5 years iv not done a lot off miels so think off myself as not a exprienaced reider.

so when i bought my virago my second bike( the vfr soon for sale i thnik lol ) The guy where id bought it from asked had i ever riden a shaft drive befor i no he then said dont change down at speed slow with engien and then change down or you will lock the back wheel up.

but would it be safe to change down to over take say from 5 to 4 at duel carage way speeds. Im just not shure and dint wont to try just in case i lock up Thanks Andy

Learn to blip the throttle when down shifting and you'll be able to down shift at the highest RPM smooth and without worrying about locking up the rear, start practicing at low RPM and then work your way up, have a look here, http://www.sportrider.com/ride/rss/146_040...ttle/index.html

Hope it helps. :D

i've had loads of shaftys i never had a bad lock up yet, though ive seen the revs climb pretty high a few times. once you've done some miles on it you'll soon get to know the limits. its not that different from chain driven bikes though a lot cleaner and cheaper. :lol: ian

Geday, That stuff re shaft or chain is rubbish. Down shift incorrectly with either setup and you risk rear wheel lockup. Ride pillion with an experienced rider that you trust and have them show you the correct technique. Much easier demonstrated and then having the theory behind it explained! As stated earlier, practice the technique at lower speeds until you have it down pat. After time you will be doing it without even thinking about it. Little tip! Whilst learning the technique always have a finger covering the clutch lever. This way, should you inadvertently lock the rear, you can quickly pull the lever in without delay and the back of the bike will settle back to normal quicker. Don't use this technique in the wet until you are comfortable with it in the dry. All the best, Paul.

You should be fine dropping down 1 gear for overtaking on Dual CarriageWay speeds.....

It's all down to how you use the clutch & your engine speed. ;)

Just to add my usual argumentative opinions in....

I agree with the second line, but not the first.

On some bikes, you can drop down for an overtake. I used to do so on my 125 Drag.

However, on my 650 Drag, I am usually seeing it's clear and revving up, moving out for the 'take, changing up just as the power maxes out and blasting forward a touch before moving in. That's mostly because I tend to ride within the power bands. The bike doesn't actually like it if I don't.

Ultimately, it depends on the bike, the rider and the situation.

One trick is to not just dump the clutch out, but release it slowly.

If you down-shift at the wrong point, you will usually spin the rear wheel regardless.

Personally, I wait until the revs reach a low burble, clutch in, down-shift and add a bit of revs at the same time, clutch out gently.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online