XJ600 Not starting

Mike Legdon
This post is 5487 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The gremlins have been attacking my bike!

Monday I took it out for a run and all was happy, Wednesday morning 8:30 need to be in Leeds (40min ride) for a training course at 9:30, turn on the ignition, Neutral light comes on, press the starter switch the oil light flashes on and nothing happens?

I have all lights working, the battery is holding 12.5V, I have gone through the Haynes Manual and checked the side stand switch, the Clutch switch, the Diode, all the fuses, the starter relay is showing 14.5 ohms(which is within the specified range).

The only thing that didn’t seem right from the Haynes manual it the starter relay does not click when I press the ignition switch. When I turn on the ignition with the key, I hear a click from one of the other relays but I never hear anything from the Starter relay?

Any help will be appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

And of course you've tried the obvious,, although you didnt list them,

fuel

fuel tap

kill switch

,or it could be your starter button/wiring

I have no idea how to test the latter, good luck, will be watching this topic, av got a divvy !

fuel : not even trying to turning over, so fuel is out of the equation

fuel tap : assume related to above

kill switch : I haven't check the kill switch with the multi meter but when the ignition is on and you flick the kill switch one of the relays clicks?

The starter button is working because when you press it the oil light comes on.

Got it working, It was a corroded conector on the wire that runs from the Starter Relay to the Relay assembly at the assembly end. Suppose I should keep an eye on the relays as they do seem to attract muck even though they are under the fairing.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I have exactly the same problem - last rode mid December, all ok, tried to start it a few weeks later and nothing - just the oil light coming on when I press the start button. I too read the Haynes manual and thought it was the relay, so bought another from a breaker and it still does the same thing.

Please could you explain how you fixed yours with a little more detail, so that I can try the same thing?

Thanks

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

The gremlins have been attacking my bike!

Monday I took it out for a run and all was happy, Wednesday morning 8:30 need to be in Leeds (40min ride) for a training course at 9:30, turn on the ignition, Neutral light comes on, press the starter switch the oil light flashes on and nothing happens?

I have all lights working, the battery is holding 12.5V, I have gone through the Haynes Manual and checked the side stand switch, the Clutch switch, the Diode, all the fuses, the starter relay is showing 14.5 ohms(which is within the specified range).

The only thing that didn’t seem right from the Haynes manual it the starter relay does not click when I press the ignition switch. When I turn on the ignition with the key, I hear a click from one of the other relays but I never hear anything from the Starter relay?

Any help will be appreciated.

Hi

I have exactly the same problem - last rode mid December, all ok, tried to start it a few weeks later and nothing - just the oil light coming on when I press the start button. I too read the Haynes manual and thought it was the relay, so bought another from a breaker and it still does the same thing.

Please could you explain how you fixed yours with a little more detail, so that I can try the same thing?

Thanks

Rob

hi

check the battery connections as they have to be really tight

andy

Hi as a newbie on here i was attracted to this thread as my divi is also playing up, the starter solenoid clicks but some times i have to put the bike into gear and rock it backwards and forwards to get a reaction from the starter motor, then sometimes it's very lethargic, batt voltage is fine, as are fuel, etc, as a reference the last time this happened i changed the starter motor, but what are the odds of it being another faulty starter??

as a reference the last time this happened i changed the starter motor, but what are the odds of it being another faulty starter??

Starter Circuit Cut-Off Relay it sounds like to me...... :unsure:

Had this issue with my old XJ550.....was able to cure the prob affordably, by removing the relay & running a jumper wire across the connector, hence completing the circuit.

HTH ;)

Starter Circuit Cut-Off Relay it sounds like to me...... :unsure:

Had this issue with my old XJ550.....was able to cure the prob affordably, by removing the relay & running a jumper wire across the connector, hence completing the circuit.

HTH ;)

Cheers guys, well a local bike breaker has a starter motor for an XJ 600 tho he does say it's a pre oil cooler version so it may not fit, guess a look won't hurt eh?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online