1980 xs400 Clutch

thrasher_s
This post is 5693 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I spoke to a mechanic today and he seemed to think I might have a major problem.

- Clutch, once engaged, holds firm and bike runs fine, shifts fine

- However, no matter how I adjust it, the clutch does not engage until about the last 5-10% of the clutch lever release

- so the bike is rideable, but is tough to handle when stopping and starting often

The mechanic thought that I might have trouble in the clutch basket, in which case parts are very hard to come by and I would most likely have to search salvage yards.

Opinions?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I spoke to a mechanic today and he seemed to think I might have a major problem.

- Clutch, once engaged, holds firm and bike runs fine, shifts fine

- However, no matter how I adjust it, the clutch does not engage until about the last 5-10% of the clutch lever release

- so the bike is rideable, but is tough to handle when stopping and starting often

The mechanic thought that I might have trouble in the clutch basket, in which case parts are very hard to come by and I would most likely have to search salvage yards.

Opinions?

Hi There,

I guess you have 2-3mm of free play at the lever b4 the clutch takes up ? if not adjust it by slackening the cable adjuster of completely and adjusting the push rod (screw the adjuster in then back off a half turn) then re adjust the lever to 2-3mm, But Take into account how much play there is in the clutch lever itself .... an oval hole in a clutch lever can cause loads of clutch problems. as the leverage is all wrong. If the clutch basket is at fault you will have either slip or drag from the clutch, the friction plates would have made grooves in the basket which can be repaired (if not to severe) by filing the sections of the clutch basket that are grooved until smooth. But as your clutch dont engage until nearly the lever is at the bars I would go with the lever being oval and (just thought this bike is now 30 years old) the crankcase cover (worm gear) could now be worn and you have problems there ... easy to diagnose take off the cover & see if the arm that the cable connects to wobbles it the case !

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online