xj900f ignition troubles

reabo
This post is 5542 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi i have a 1992 xj900f and have covered 39k miles in 13 months with only the expected minor niggles. But now it has me stumped. I started it yesterday and it would only run on 2 cylinders, the right hand coil which runs the tacho isn’t working. The tacho kicked in once and the ignition fuse blew. I replaced the fuse and now it will only run on cylinders 1 and 4.

I have disconnected the instrument console + tried – no difference

I have isolated the tacho – no difference

I have checked the resistance of the pickup coils – ok

I have checked primary winding + secondary windings resistance on ignition coils –ok

I have swapped the wires to the coils over – no spark on any plugs

Have swapped non-working ignition coil with a known good one – sparks on 1+4 only still

I have checked the wiring and connectors

I have beaten the damn thing to death with a 14lb sledge hammer (not yet but may be the next step)

As i see it the only thing left is the tci unit, which on mine is a pattern one. So has anyone got the Yamaha part number for the tci unit on a 1992 xj900f (4bb model)? Is this unit used on any other bike? Has anyone got any ideas or can see something i have overlooked?

Thanx in advance for your help this has been a fantastic bike, it now has only 71k miles on it + i have done most of them and would hate to scrap it now.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi i have a 1992 xj900f and have covered 39k miles in 13 months with only the expected minor niggles. But now it has me stumped. I started it yesterday and it would only run on 2 cylinders, the right hand coil which runs the tacho isn’t working. The tacho kicked in once and the ignition fuse blew. I replaced the fuse and now it will only run on cylinders 1 and 4.

I have disconnected the instrument console + tried – no difference

I have isolated the tacho – no difference

I have checked the resistance of the pickup coils – ok

I have checked primary winding + secondary windings resistance on ignition coils –ok

I have swapped the wires to the coils over – no spark on any plugs

Have swapped non-working ignition coil with a known good one – sparks on 1+4 only still

I have checked the wiring and connectors

I have beaten the damn thing to death with a 14lb sledge hammer (not yet but may be the next step)

As i see it the only thing left is the tci unit, which on mine is a pattern one. So has anyone got the Yamaha part number for the tci unit on a 1992 xj900f (4bb model)? Is this unit used on any other bike? Has anyone got any ideas or can see something i have overlooked?

Thanx in advance for your help this has been a fantastic bike, it now has only 71k miles on it + i have done most of them and would hate to scrap it now.

Hi There,

Just a shot in the dark but perhaps the part number is 31A-82305-10-00 I did a bit of research and the bike has a lot in common with the 31A XJ900F but have a look at this as you can see they reckon its a genuine one but at 60 euros this looks a little cheap !

I have a factory w/s manual for the 31A XJ900 if you require it.

Regards Jim

hi jim.

thanx for the reply.i would never have found that unit, have had a look, it is described as a cdi (capacitor) unit, the xj has a tdi unit (transistor). when i get home, in work at mo, will check if xs400 is cdi or tdi. thanx for the offer but i already have a manual. thanx for the reply m8, might be more help than either of us thinx and the part number is a great help for tracking one down

hi jim.

thanx for the reply.i would never have found that unit, have had a look, it is described as a cdi (capacitor) unit, the xj has a tdi unit (transistor). when i get home, in work at mo, will check if xs400 is cdi or tdi. thanx for the offer but i already have a manual. thanx for the reply m8, might be more help than either of us thinx and the part number is a great help for tracking one down

Hi there,

dont forget the word Maxim when checking out XS400's ... in the UK XS400 (12E) the dohc one is some what different to the sohc modals ... most searchs will throw the sohc modal which had C/B ignition. If you blow the pic up (in the link) the camara flash covers up the important bit !!!. but to confirm the unit part number wander into a Yamaha dealer & get them to check!

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online