Starter Noise

Dan Westlake
This post is 5698 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My wife is in the process of buying a 2004 Virago 250 with about 24000 kms (1500 mi) on it and I noticed when we were checking the bike out the the bike starts fine but there is quite a rattle sound from starter which stops as soon as you release the starter button. The owner said they inquired with the mechanic and he said it wasn't unusual.

I know the early Viragos had starter issues but this isn't a early Virago. I have owned and currently own two other bikes and none of them make any unusual sounds when the started is ingaged.

Thanks

Dan

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

There was a batch of starter motors made for the Viragos that had the wrong shaft bearings. If I remember correctly, they were fitted to 2003/04 bikes.

They are microns smaller in diameter, causing the shaft to wobble by the tiniest amount while spinning. While not a major problem, it will eventually wear out the SM.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online