xs400 flat tracker project

drewpy
This post is 2930 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

pictorial story so far.....

cut rear frame rails and test mounted speedo

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

tried custom tank, but figure its too big, seat is great though

DSC00004.jpg

bought a DT125 tank and looks better, fitted custom forks which are longer and fitted longer rear shocks bought from stafford bike show last year

DSC00142.jpg

DSC00140.jpg

Cut and welded a Motad exhaust

trackerwireonbike.jpg

I'm keeping the bars clean I will mount the horn push inside the bar end and fit an ATE BMW master cylinder, so i figure i will need a bespoke tank making now

trackerATEmaster.jpg

I'm after some flat track type tyres, carbs are brand new from a dohc xs400 and I made new brackets as these were too narrow. swing arm needs to be cut narrower to fit and have sourced new needle bearings to suit xs400 shaft,

biggest job will be the tank methinks, although sometimes to little jobs become HUGE ones!!

drewps

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 1 month later...

Whoa! I've been a lurker here for a while. Some of the best xs400 info on the net. Nice project Drewpy! Eager to see how it comes along. I'm fascinated by those of you will actual mechanical and building skills.

Luke

thanks for that. I'm not really a skilled builder just pick it up as I go along. I make mistakes along the way, just keep at it till its right.

BTW :welcome: to the forum luke

I've always liked the looks of flat-trackers, and I own an XS400 also. I'm very interested in your project. I have other mods lined up for this year. I'm not going to copy your bike, but it gives me some ideas for next year. :-) Keep us posted.

I am looking for a bmw tank to fit the ATE undertank M/Cyl

i just want the base so i have a base (sic!) to work from and I've decided to build the top half. I'll enrole in night school somewhere near Manchester to access tools.

drewps

Looks like a good plan of attack there Drewps :thumb:

Stirs up some good old memories for me as I used to go see Flat-Track racing every Friday night as a kid..... B)

Cryin' shame, as that track has now become yet another apartment complex. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

hey ther new to the forum! wondering if anyone knows how far you could push a xs400 engine? anyone know of any big bore kits? would like to go in the street tracker direction.

no kits as such, but it can be overbored to 440cc using Yoshimura pistons with 73 mm bore.

xs450pistons.jpg

Head, shortened valve stems, new valves (inlet 36 mm, exhaust 30 mm)

xs450valves.jpg

thanks for the tip drewpy!! :D know if it can mate with a xs650 head?

I don't think so!

what kind of wheels and hubs are you using? got any more pics of the project? lookin good so far!

using xs250 wire hubs and respoked with stainless.

not done much work lately as no money and other priorities!!

need to get tyres and then start finishing those carbs off and maybe do the wiring!!

• 2 weeks later...

small update, got my tyres, but need a bung for the rear rim to finish that off.

I have 2 weeks off starting next week so i'm gonna finish off those carbs and do the wiring and hopefully fit the new rear wheel.

newtyres.jpg

where did you get the 440 kit? cant find it anywhere on the web or in the shops here in the states :angry: the kit fron yosh japan? or?

as per my reply there is no kit, yer on yer own as this was the info off a bike that was on ebay. you should be able to get the pistons and get it rebored.

• 2 weeks later...

Shaping up to be a nice ride Drewpy!

I like the seat/fairing - custom or off the shelf? I plan on modding my newly acquired 77 XS400 to a cafe style and that seat is along the style I'm thinking of...

Thanks for sharing your mods!

Shaping up to be a nice ride Drewpy!

I like the seat/fairing - custom or off the shelf? I plan on modding my newly acquired 77 XS400 to a cafe style and that seat is along the style I'm thinking of...

Thanks for sharing your mods!

the seat is off the shelf an XR750 replica I belive

try hot wing glass or omars for these sort of things

• 5 months later...

im doing a xs 400 tracker now, i like what your doing on yours im going to bore mine out as well. i put forks on from a xs650,rears from a xs1100.lengthend the swingarm 4 inches.next thing is dual front discs from a doner bike or aftermarket.im new on here so i hope to get some pics of it on here soon it will take all winter to make it. hope to watch your progress here.thanks for posting it.