Yzf r125 tyres in the wet!!

Sonny r 125
This post is 5462 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

sonny, do you ride in the wet the way you ride in the dry?

remember all tyres have less grip in the wet than dry, this is even more important with motorcycles. you need to go slower, brake more gently and not corner so hard.

sonny, do you ride in the wet the way you ride in the dry?

remember all tyres have less grip in the wet than dry, this is even more important with motorcycles. you need to go slower, brake more gently and not corner so hard.

no, i dont ride in the wet the same as i do in the dry. i have been riding for quite a long time and know the difference the wet makes to the way you ride. the standard tyres that come on the yzf125 arent great in the wet. the bike mcn have got for there long term test has had the same trouble in the wet and they have actually changed the tyres and has made a large difference. i was just wondering if anyone had also changed their tyres and if so, which tyres did they go for. as i cant remember which ones mcn changed to.

no, i dont ride in the wet the same as i do in the dry. i have been riding for quite a long time and know the difference the wet makes to the way you ride. the standard tyres that come on the yzf125 arent great in the wet. the bike mcn have got for there long term test has had the same trouble in the wet and they have actually changed the tyres and has made a large difference. i was just wondering if anyone had also changed their tyres and if so, which tyres did they go for. as i cant remember which ones mcn changed to.

what kind of tyres does the r125 run?? I found the standard Pirelli Sport Demons on my dt125x where crap in the wet, and even in the dry the front end didnt feel so sure footed, when cornering hard the front would skip about offering me very little confidence. Since I had the bike and 11k miles later, I've changed the back twice and the front once, the rear I got next rear was a Bridgestone Battlax, it was quite good, better in the wet, the next set I got was Dunlop Arrowmax front and back, big difference in the front end, alot easier to ride in the wet. I decided to go from the standard rear (140/70/17) to a 130/70/17 and the front (120/70/17) to a 110/70/17... it is a 125 afterall. I suppose in a way its down to the rider on tyre choices. good luck anyway

Tyres are as good as you think they are

If you believe in them you won't even notice them but if you have read , or heard, of a problem you will spend your whole ride-time waiting for it to happen AND IT WILL HAPPEN because of that

Tread depth and tread pattern are largely a fashion accessory in the dry because their only function in life is to move water.

Contrary to the law and to street cred a modern tyre is at it's best (IN THE DRY) when the tread has disapeared all together.

Unfortunately that optimum condition is quickly followed by the exposure of the carcass itself and then it must be binned before it bins you

Tyres are as good as you think they are

If you believe in them you won't even notice them but if you have read , or heard, of a problem you will spend your whole ride-time waiting for it to happen AND IT WILL HAPPEN because of that

Tread depth and tread pattern are largely a fashion accessory in the dry because their only function in life is to move water.

Contrary to the law and to street cred a modern tyre is at it's best (IN THE DRY) when the tread has disapeared all together.

Unfortunately that optimum condition is quickly followed by the exposure of the carcass itself and then it must be binned before it bins you

i dont agree with that, i can sit there thinking my tyres are as good as glue but the ass end still slides about in the wet. i can understand beeing a bit more cautious because i have been told they are not good, but it doesnt change the fact that it is not as good in the wet as my previous bike.

i dont agree with that, i can sit there thinking my tyres are as good as glue but the ass end still slides about in the wet. i can understand beeing a bit more cautious because i have been told they are not good, but it doesnt change the fact that it is not as good in the wet as my previous bike.

Sorry Sonny r 125 ---- just disreard my advice and buy the tyres that are recomended by those who sell them..

Surely that too will only be an opinion. ( but biased)

I'll stand by my opinion that much of tyre performance exists between our ears and our mind set affects many of the contributing factors like corning speed, weight position and angle of lean which are infiitely variable anyway.

• 1 month later...

what kind of tyres does the r125 run?? I found the standard Pirelli Sport Demons on my dt125x where crap in the wet, and even in the dry the front end didnt feel so sure footed, when cornering hard the front would skip about offering me very little confidence. Since I had the bike and 11k miles later, I've changed the back twice and the front once, the rear I got next rear was a Bridgestone Battlax, it was quite good, better in the wet, the next set I got was Dunlop Arrowmax front and back, big difference in the front end, alot easier to ride in the wet. I decided to go from the standard rear (140/70/17) to a 130/70/17 and the front (120/70/17) to a 110/70/17... it is a 125 afterall. I suppose in a way its down to the rider on tyre choices. good luck anyway

yeah, and ther-125 is fitted with sport demons as standard, they're bloody good when it is dry though!

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't had any problems at all with the standard sports demons on my bike had it just before christmas its been through snow, bad ice, and flooded roads with gale force wind i thought the bike handled amazingly well it had excellent grip even in the ice when i got off it and put it on the stand i was sliding all over the place in my boots the bike was fine! i have heard this before and i think it does come down to how people are riding them u have to adapt for the weather.

i found the standard pirelli sport demons handled very well in both the wet and dry, quite a few times to the point where i couldn't actually go physically further due to the foot pegs