exhaust balance pipe

shed hermit
This post is 5621 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi folks

just a quick question(s), can sombody tell me what the exhaust balance pipe actually does? (apart from the obvious). i now that the four branch manifold on a car is set-up in a particular way (say pot 1-3-ect) is this to help the scavenging of fumes from the cylinders? if so how does it work on a 4 into 1 on a bike?

i am going to make a set of pipes for a V4 honda {sorry for the langauge} :) ,(2 x 2-into-1) and want to know if i need this pipe, any help/advice would be gratefully recieved.

thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi folks

just a quick question(s), can sombody tell me what the exhaust balance pipe actually does? (apart from the obvious). i now that the four branch manifold on a car is set-up in a particular way (say pot 1-3-ect) is this to help the scavenging of fumes from the cylinders? if so how does it work on a 4 into 1 on a bike?

i am going to make a set of pipes for a V4 honda {sorry for the langauge} :) ,(2 x 2-into-1) and want to know if i need this pipe, any help/advice would be gratefully recieved.

thanks

it effectivley lengthens the exhaust pipe without making it longer. this makes it quieter. some bikes lose mid range power when this is bypassed with aftermarket exhausts (like my old cx500 i used to have)

drewps

i know that on two-smokers the length/cone size/expansion all have an effect on the performance, does it work in the same way on a 4 stroke? as the bike is a v4 the back pots will have a shorter pipe does this have any affect on the perfomance? i.e. the back pots loose the fumes quicker and giving the engine a slight imbalance performance-wise. the pipes that were with the bike had a big long turn on the back 2 pipes, was this to try and even up the length of the front 2? also would i have to put a balance pipe between the 2 front pipes and the 2 back pipes? my gixxer had a balance pipe at the headers but it only connected 2 downpipes. :blink:

hi folks

thanks

Geady mate! If all exhaust gases are ultimately going to exit via one pipe, you do not need any balance pipes.However be sure to make that one pipe large enough! HAVE A BLAST! Paul. Oh yeah, in an ideal world you make all the header pipes the same length but on a V4 this is easier said then done.The balance pipe is there for better scavenging and is usually utilised when there is multiple exits. I have built many performance engines and found the best spread of power throughout the rev range is achieved with a large bore, free flowing single system. I raced a near standard GSX1100 on the salt a few years back and it simply had all 4 header pipes chopped off at about mid engine. It performed well over 12000 rpm and was fine for the salt, but distinctly lacked mid range power!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online