Thunderace restriction?

Billy Balthorpe
This post is 5701 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Does anyone know if the Thunderace was restricted to 125BHP like the Exup was? The Exup had a restriction moulded into the inlet rubbers, easily removed with a stanley knife to release the full power, a lot easier than fitting the ZXR750 carb tops like you had to do with the ZZR1100.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Does anyone know if the Thunderace was restricted to 125BHP like the Exup was? The Exup had a restriction moulded into the inlet rubbers, easily removed with a stanley knife to release the full power, a lot easier than fitting the ZXR750 carb tops like you had to do with the ZZR1100.

Pretty sure you can restrict the Ace either way, why do you ask is the Ace restricted now or something you want to do ?

I was asking if the Ace was restricted, if it is, is it restriced in the same way that the EXUP was?

I dont want to restrict it, i want to know if its worth doing the work and taking the carbs off to find out if its restriced or not and to cut out the rubbers if it is.

If the Ace wasnt restricted i dont need to strip the carbs off, using the old "If it aint f****d, dont f**k about with it" adage.

Cheers.

Billy

hi mate think some of the import models had smaller jets in the carbs to restrict power my mates was like that it was a us import but a dynojet kit sorted him out....is your bike down on power?

Dont know if its down on power, havent ridden it yet, i've got to put the rest of the wedge in the guys hand before i do that. I just know that for a time the EXUPs were restricted through the carb rubbers, i cant remember if this period covered the start of manufacture of the 'Ace or if it was before then.

I like to be prepared when i buy a new bike. Crash mushrooms, Maxton, dog bones, set up guide and tool box ALL on standby.

Dont know if its down on power, havent ridden it yet, i've got to put the rest of the wedge in the guys hand before i do that. I just know that for a time the EXUPs were restricted through the carb rubbers, i cant remember if this period covered the start of manufacture of the 'Ace or if it was before then.

I like to be prepared when i buy a new bike. Crash mushrooms, Maxton, dog bones, set up guide and tool box ALL on standby.

chances are it wont be restricted but if you have any probs wi it gimmie a shout i'm rebuilding my thou exups engine at the mo 1040 bigbore kit 41mm flatsides....etc its the same engine except the crank in the thunderace is lighter other than that the engines are identical

The only Aces to be restricted to 125 BHP were US models, done by using smaller jets in the carbs as already posted.

UK, EU and Jap models were a full 145 BHP.

If it does seem low on power, either the EXUP valve needs a service or it has been removed and the carbs not re-jetted for the EXUP-less exhaust.

If you release ALL of the Ace Horses the steering goes light especially at The Gooseneck

Lightfrontend.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online