Reproducible stall after fillup

Cort
This post is 5692 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok, folks,

New rider (8 months, 13k miles), first post, 98 Royal Star Tour Deluxe, use it to commute 225 miles roundtrip three times a week...

My bike stalls almost every day at the same exact spot on the interstate. I gas up after about an hour and a half on the road, head down the on-ramp, gun it to merge, and the bike stalls and won't restart. I wait a minute on the shoulder, the bike restarts, and is (usually) fine. It also happens if I stop at a rest area. If this isn't weird enough, it never happens in the morning, when I also top off (can't make it 225 miles on a tank). The morning stops are a little longer since I grab a coffee.

So...

1. Warm engine

2. Stopped for a few minutes

3. Ride 1/2 mile

4. Bike stalls as I accellerate

5. Won't restart underway

6. Won't restart until I wait a minute on the shoulder

7. Does not happen in the morning (after longer stops)

Any ideas besides a "Bermuda Triangle" effect? Is the fuel pump not turning on when I restart after the fillup?

Thanks much!

Cort

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

For a start, I think you should have posted this in the Workshop section or, with it being a Royal Star the Customs section.

Second, Do you really need to "gun it" to merge?

Third, When did it last have a service?

The more info you give us the more we'll able be to help.

Welcome to the forum cort B)

Sounds to me like you either have a dirty fuel filter, or you gas tank isnt venting properly, does it have a vent pipe that has become trapped under the tank somewhere ?

check the seal on the gas filler cap it mybe kackerd causing vacuum pressure in the tank so the fuel wont drain if your also riding in hot weather the seal would expand causing the tank to seal

Gents,

Thanks for the replies. I guess the key was just posting the problem because it solved itself (in a way)... the fuel pump died and started making a grinding/vibration noise. New fuel pump will be here tomorrow. Hopefully that will be the answer.

oldgitonabike - Previously looked at all the possible venting issues because that's what I thought at first. Good idea, though.

golfdub - Yepper, previously disassembled the cap too. Another good idea, especially since it was happening after fillup.

Cov_AL - I'll be more careful where I post. Services are current. The issue with "gunning it" was that I come down a decreasing radius ramp that slows me to about 30 mph and then have a short merge to get onto a major interstate with traffic at 65+ mph. Not always an issue, but usually.

Thanks much!

Cort

• 2 weeks later...

Cov_AL - I'll be more careful where I post. Services are current. The issue with "gunning it" was that I come down a decreasing radius ramp that slows me to about 30 mph and then have a short merge to get onto a major interstate with traffic at 65+ mph. Not always an issue, but usually.

Sorry if i was a bit short with you, bad day and such...

Welcome to the forum, and I hope your new fuel pump sorts out your problem for you.

We're here for good times and bad, so pop your head into the other areas and add your two cents wherever you feel like it and let us know if the new pump has your machine running nice and smooth...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online