Yamaha DT 250 wont start (1975ish)

tris
This post is 5616 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My yamaha DT250 wont start

It has gone not long ago but suddenly stopped. I've checked the spark which is good and cleaned out the carburetta (i dont think it is the original one though) and check the fuel. I havnt a clue what it might be, can anyone help!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My yamaha DT250 wont start

It has gone not long ago but suddenly stopped. I've checked the spark which is good and cleaned out the carburetta (i dont think it is the original one though) and check the fuel. I havnt a clue what it might be, can anyone help!

Hi tris, :welcome: to the forum

Have you got plenty of fuel? If in doubt, switch to reserve. is the plug getting wet with fuel? If it is remove it, hold it with pliers and dry it out using a blow torch or gas hob (dont burn yourself on it)

Re fit it and try again, dont forget to use the starter choke and little or no throttle to start it.

Hi tris, :welcome: to the forum

Have you got plenty of fuel? If in doubt, switch to reserve. is the plug getting wet with fuel? If it is remove it, hold it with pliers and dry it out using a blow torch or gas hob (dont burn yourself on it)

Re fit it and try again, dont forget to use the starter choke and little or no throttle to start it.

I have checked all the obvious things such as fuel and choke with no change. The plug is fine and sparking well. There is suction into the carburettor and there is fuel going into the carburettor so i guess it could be the carburettor, reed valves or something very mysterious. I did check the reed valves but i dont know what they are meant to look like so if you could explain that would be helpful? and any other ideas?

I have checked all the obvious things such as fuel and choke with no change. The plug is fine and sparking well. There is suction into the carburettor and there is fuel going into the carburettor so i guess it could be the carburettor, reed valves or something very mysterious. I did check the reed valves but i dont know what they are meant to look like so if you could explain that would be helpful? and any other ideas?

The only thing with the reeds is to check there are no big gaps between the petals and the cage, They should sit reasonably flat, its a visual check,

You have not said if your plug is getting wet with fuel, if it is, dry the plug or better still replace it with a spare, i would even consider draining the tank and putting some fresh fuel in there.

If you live near a hill, try a bump start, get some of your mates to give you sa shove

If you have been trying for ages, you may have flooded the crank case, if you think this is possibleyou may need to leave the plug out overnight and slowly turn the engine over with the kickstarter from time to time, this will aid evaporation.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online