I need your advice

Goff
This post is 5707 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok - so now i got me a nice new bike i was wondering what - if anything - i should be doing.

Yes ive had "new" bikes before and i am quite capable of looking after them but i have never actually owned a brand new-zero mileage-straight-out-the-showroom bike - so in your opinions - is there anything i should be doing to keep her tickety boo or do i just keep on doin what im doin? ;)

Cheers!

Goff (not too proud to ask for help :lol: )

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

- is there anything i should be doing

Hi goff " may i say thats a hansome machine B)" Well basically running in procedures . keeping revs below a certain band [ handbook usually stipulates] just to let the rings bed in. For the first 500 mls or so" . But nowa days the engineering tollerance is better than old [1970s/80s] since i had a new machine.. So dont think running in . is important

SO GIV IT LASH [ OR WHIP] Shud i sa ;) y .....

Hey Goff, i know what your thinking, iv got the new Zx6 and im trying to get into the routine of wiping the bike down after a ride.

Trying to run it in with care, as its quite peaky im trying not to slog the engine. wont be a prob with a custom.

there is a school of thought when running-in a bike to thrash it for the 1st 20 miles with mineral oil and then change oil to the bikes standard oil (eg semi-synth) what this does is beds in the rings to the bore and so making a better seal giving better oil consumption (if any)

I did this with my XS on a rebore and can say Ive never had a smoking issues (cough!) and currently have the engine in bits transfereing to an NOS case, and the bore is A1.

I have also heard (on T'internet) that some peeps run their bike in gently and its been smoking and burning oil for that very reason after 10k miles.

Unfortunatley you will have to make your own mind on this ( warranty) and have a trawl through google!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online