75 DT175 Bogging

gil490
This post is 5711 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am thinking of buying a bike, it's a 1975 yamaha dt 175. The problems is that it bogs down when the rpms are under say 3 or 4k rpms, above that it's ok for WOT. If you wrap gears around shifting, you can shift through all the gears no problem with WOT if you keep the rpms on the UP thoughout the gearbox. I was thinking the needle lvl in the carb, which would be simple, and I could get this minty dt175. I would rather not deal with air leaks though for what i might pay for it.

The bike was also not idling before i got there lol. I went over and it would barely run and wouldn't idle. I guess the guy didnt know much about 2 strokes which absolutely shocked me because he had over 10 bikes on the property and had claimed to sold over 50 bikes this summer. I had to actaully tell him what the problem could be and I got the bike to idle for him by pointing out the jets and telling him to clean them. After I put the carb back on and the boot to airbox as well it idled but ruff. I got the bike prolly to close to 60mph , but not without bogging at WOT while mid RPM's.

What you u think fellow 2 strokers. My bet is, and also hoping, it is only the carb needle that needs adjusted. I would hate for it to be airleaks though.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I am thinking of buying a bike, it's a 1975 yamaha dt 175. The problems is that it bogs down when the rpms are under say 3 or 4k rpms, above that it's ok for WOT. If you wrap gears around shifting, you can shift through all the gears no problem with WOT if you keep the rpms on the UP thoughout the gearbox. I was thinking the needle lvl in the carb, which would be simple, and I could get this minty dt175. I would rather not deal with air leaks though for what i might pay for it.

The bike was also not idling before i got there lol. I went over and it would barely run and wouldn't idle. I guess the guy didnt know much about 2 strokes which absolutely shocked me because he had over 10 bikes on the property and had claimed to sold over 50 bikes this summer. I had to actaully tell him what the problem could be and I got the bike to idle for him by pointing out the jets and telling him to clean them. After I put the carb back on and the boot to airbox as well it idled but ruff. I got the bike prolly to close to 60mph , but not without bogging at WOT while mid RPM's.

What you u think fellow 2 strokers. My bet is, and also hoping, it is only the carb needle that needs adjusted. I would hate for it to be airleaks though.

Start by having someone rebuild the carburator properly.

• 2 weeks later...

i think the neddle is a resoneable guess... I dont think its an airleaks . It might be the whole cylinder assembly in the carb that is to low, maybe more than the needle. Try adjusting it. oh yeah, and clean the whole carb!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online