Dt 125 r 2001 Problem with indicators, N Light and oil gauge

forshow
This post is 5677 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys im new to the forum and it seems very good!

i do though have a problem it started one day when i was riding to see a friend all my lights went off, i mean indicators, N light, oil light, oil gauge stopped working and bike just cut out.

So i stopped at my local motor cycles place, and they said its prob the battery so i ordered one. After that he said he had taken off the relay underneath the seat as i don’t need it???

Now i looked at the dtr manual and it said on there it was a flashing relay? ( they have two relays? one near the front light and another one under the seat) i looked at the relay where they had taken it off and the connections where rusted and green carbon stuff on them sooo....

I asked if they had the relay can i have it back and they got rid of it.

22.00 i have priced one up, a proper yam one. someone said it could be just a faulty earth?

Please help guys it would be really appreciated.

Forgot to say when i rev the engine the indicator works but it like flashes with the revs???

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi guys im new to the forum and it seems very good!

i do though have a problem it started one day when i was riding to see a friend all my lights went off, i mean indicators, N light, oil light, oil gauge stopped working and bike just cut out.

So i stopped at my local motor cycles place, and they said its prob the battery so i ordered one. After that he said he had taken off the relay underneath the seat as i don’t need it???

Now i looked at the dtr manual and it said on there it was a flashing relay? ( they have two relays? one near the front light and another one under the seat) i looked at the relay where they had taken it off and the connections where rusted and green carbon stuff on them sooo....

I asked if they had the relay can i have it back and they got rid of it.

22.00 i have priced one up, a proper yam one. someone said it could be just a faulty earth?

Please help guys it would be really appreciated.

Forgot to say when i rev the engine the indicator works but it like flashes with the revs???

This is a common problem with DT125R,s built 99 and after. The problem you have with loosing your neutral light etc, is the main RED power wire in the loom, it comes from the battery and it splits inside the loom and goes to the regulator/rectifier then carries on up to the ignition switch. The soldered joint inside the loom has gone. Just remove it and re join all the RED wires and the bike will be fine. I have fixed this same problem on 6 month old bikes before. Its a doddle to do and takes about an hour. I use crimped on sleeve connections to repair them, you will also need a role of Black insulation tape to re tape the loom were you split into it.

The relay that has been removed from under the seat is the saftey relay that deals with the sidestand switch and it is linked to the neautral light switch. You dont need it the wires can just be bypassed, pre 99 bikes dont have them. Although once the RED wire problem has been sorted out you can refit the relay if you want as its the problem with this that breaks them.

Personaly i would not even take rusty BMX to your local bike shop by the sound of it !

Hope this helps. 525excsorry aka scrimsmustang

• 1 month later...

This is a common problem with DT125R,s built 99 and after. The problem you have with loosing your neutral light etc, is the main RED power wire in the loom, it comes from the battery and it splits inside the loom and goes to the regulator/rectifier then carries on up to the ignition switch. The soldered joint inside the loom has gone. Just remove it and re join all the RED wires and the bike will be fine. I have fixed this same problem on 6 month old bikes before. Its a doddle to do and takes about an hour. I use crimped on sleeve connections to repair them, you will also need a role of Black insulation tape to re tape the loom were you split into it.

The relay that has been removed from under the seat is the saftey relay that deals with the sidestand switch and it is linked to the neautral light switch. You dont need it the wires can just be bypassed, pre 99 bikes dont have them. Although once the RED wire problem has been sorted out you can refit the relay if you want as its the problem with this that breaks them.

Personaly i would not even take rusty BMX to your local bike shop by the sound of it !

Hope this helps. 525excsorry aka scrimsmustang