fork seal install

ward75
This post is 5707 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello-

I just started work on a 1975 xs650. It's been sitting for god knows how long and I am in the process of replacing the fork seals. Got my new seals today and went to install them (tap them in with a large socket) and oops! cracked the lip where the seal sits. Can't figure out how this happened. The only thing I can think of is that I didn't put any lube on the seal before I tried to install it. The seal was not cockeyed and I wasn't reefing on it. Once I find a replacement lower fork leg I want to avoid repeating this blunder, anyone have any hints/suggestions for installing fork seals without destroying the fork.

thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello-

I just started work on a 1975 xs650. It's been sitting for god knows how long and I am in the process of replacing the fork seals. Got my new seals today and went to install them (tap them in with a large socket) and oops! cracked the lip where the seal sits. Can't figure out how this happened. The only thing I can think of is that I didn't put any lube on the seal before I tried to install it. The seal was not cockeyed and I wasn't reefing on it. Once I find a replacement lower fork leg I want to avoid repeating this blunder, anyone have any hints/suggestions for installing fork seals without destroying the fork.

thanks

warm the seal first in hot water and lube the fork lower.

you can drift it in using a bit of cut water pipe that sits on the outer part of the seal

where you located, Ill dig around , those are 34's might be a little harder to find, but I may have a set. Ive used a socket to drift them in .

replaced my fz600 fork seals and used a piece of accetate to to slip new seals down fork leg and used a piece of plastic pipe to tap new seal in, or slide the old seal ontop of the new seal and tap in, i think a socket is to hard to tap them in and i think you may of used to much force, hope this helps

Ok think ive got a set, do you have pic of yours, 75 and 76 are dif I think , these were off 76, they use same cal but one is behind fork and one is in front of leg. Ill try to take a pic.

Ok think ive got a set, do you have pic of yours, 75 and 76 are dif I think , these were off 76, they use same cal but one is behind fork and one is in front of leg. Ill try to take a pic.

J- Just checked on caliper placement and it rides in front of the fork leg. Although when I said left lower fork leg I was looking as if I were sitting on the bike, so it would be the lower fork leg oppisite of the caliper side. It's the side where the axle is clamped into the fork leg as opposed to running through it on the caliper side. As long as what you have is for 34mm forks I would think it would fit. Let me know.

thanks for the help

ward

heres some pics, I circled one gouge in marker, I also wrote #'s marked on leg. my cal batterys dead so I stuck a tape on em but im purty sure there 34. If you can use em ill just swap you straight up, I make headlight shrouds out of them and the broken part on yours wont effect what im doing with them, take the pair or single side either way.

check the pics close to be sure.

1st pic left side is jap. writing (symbol) between fender mount. .

2008_0515bearings0014.jpg

2008_0515bearings0010.jpg

2008_0515bearings0012.jpg

heres some pics, I circled one gouge in marker, I also wrote #'s marked on leg. my cal batterys dead so I stuck a tape on em but im purty sure there 34. If you can use em ill just swap you straight up, I make headlight shrouds out of them and the broken part on yours wont effect what im doing with them, take the pair or single side either way.

check the pics close to be sure.

1st pic left side is jap. writing (symbol) between fender mount. .

2008_0515bearings0014.jpg

2008_0515bearings0010.jpg

2008_0515bearings0012.jpg

J- That looks to be the one I need. If you are willing I'll take it gouge and all. (I figure I won't need both sides, I don't plan on breaking any more major components) I am more than willing to compensate you for your time/parts. Email me so we can work out the details.

ward

[email protected]

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online