DTR 125 Not Starting

philnorth82
This post is 5710 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there i was wondering if anyone can help me as my mechanical knowledge is quite basic and im unsure what to do next. I have had a few problems with this bike and recently stripped and rebuilt it (with a lot of help).

All the problems seemed to be sorted out, and the bike was running ok, but I was unable to to keep it idle. Whilst trying to sort this out i stupidly lost the fuel/air adjuster on the carburettor, the bike was still running though but after giving it a ride out it stopped turning over completely. I have just now replaced the carburettor but the bike is not turning over and i am unsure of what to check/look for next. It has been stood for a few weeks now while i was waiting for the carb and it has been kept outside for the large part of this(which i know is stupid).

The electrics work and the battery is fully charged and the fuel is running from the carb to the tank. The spark plug is new and seems to be connected properly and i have enough fuel in the tank.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'll try that now but how exactly do you go about this?

pull the cap off

remove the plug from the head

re fit the cap

rest the metal side of the plug on the cyl head

turn on ignition

watch for spark as you either kickstart or electric start the motor

pull the cap off

remove the plug from the head

re fit the cap

rest the metal side of the plug on the cyl head

turn on ignition

watch for spark as you either kickstart or electric start the motor

Yes there was a spark although it seemed quite small, the spark plug seemed to be quite oily as well i think this may be the problem. Can i just clean this plug off or would i need to buy a new one

Wipe off what you can, then hold the end with pliers and if you have a gas hob, burn off the excess oil, watch you dont burn yourself!!!...Then have another go

Did that mate and after a few kicks it started and was running but i didn't keep the revs up and it died. When i tried to restart it it wouldn't, i then checked the spark plug again and it was very oily again

Try it again, give it a good blast, seems you may have some oil in your crank cases

What was the extent of your strip & clean, why did you do it, lets have some detail

Gonna give it another go later as all ive got is a lighter, which is not ideal for the job. Gonna find something more suitable or pop to the local bike shop.

I stripped the bike as i found a fair few problems with it when i bought it, i was basically taken for a mug. I also wanted to respray it so i stripped it down to parts and had the frame blasted. Its been given loads of new parts such as new rings, battery, indicators, lights, carb, speedo, exhaust i would have been better selling it for parts but enjoyed putting it back together. I had a proper mechanic sort out some of the more difficult problems such as problems with the oil/autolube thing and the electrics.

Gonna give it another go later as all ive got is a lighter, which is not ideal for the job. Gonna find something more suitable or pop to the local bike shop.

I stripped the bike as i found a fair few problems with it when i bought it, i was basically taken for a mug. I also wanted to respray it so i stripped it down to parts and had the frame blasted. Its been given loads of new parts such as new rings, battery, indicators, lights, carb, speedo, exhaust i would have been better selling it for parts but enjoyed putting it back together. I had a proper mechanic sort out some of the more difficult problems such as problems with the oil/autolube thing and the electrics.

That seems to have worked and now it kicks first or second time but as soon as engine starts it revs like crazy and doesn't stop until you touch the throttle and then it dies.

That seems to have worked and now it kicks first or second time but as soon as engine starts it revs like crazy and doesn't stop until you touch the throttle and then it dies.

This could be caused by several things

Loose Cylinder head bolts

Loose Cylinder to Crankcase

Loose connection on carb to reed block connections

This could be caused by several things

Loose Cylinder head bolts

Loose Cylinder to Crankcase

Loose connection on carb to reed block connections

Yup, definately a sign of too much air coming from somewhere. Use the good old carb cleaner trick to check for leaks.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online