car drivers

gav dt
This post is 5629 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i notice you get more respect if you are on a big bike

i get less respect from drivers on my 125, but when i am on my 600 its a diffrent story

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Cars give people a sense of authority, hence why people in 4x4s think they own the roads and cut up other car drivers, and why people in estates cut up fiat pandas, and why fiat pandas and everyone else cuts up us bikers.

on a 50cc its worse, you can't accelerate as fast and are sometimes a bit slow to react and people just dont want to wait, you can't keep up with traffic so people will follow you with full beam headlights and overtake in dangerous situations.

Car drivers need to be taught motorcycle awareness, no question about it, and learners NEED a more powerful bike, i refuse to ride on the dual carriageway because lorries are restricted to 55 and my top speed is about 45-50mph, and the last thing i want is to be overtaken by a lorry! (would end up spread across the tarmac)

Oh really?

Well, watch me crash my BMW Executive 7-series turbo charged box into your flimsy bike and see who survives. I survive, which means I'm right. I'm also right because I'm a company rep and I have a big willy.

I want pictures......... :P

I want pictures......... :P

What, of my imaginary BMW driver's private bits?

Well, he's imaginary, so use your imagination :-D

oooo dont get me started on this one!!..... :tantrum::tearhair::soapbox:

riding on the roads on my bike its amazing how my observations, attitude and actions in my car have changed in respect of the humble biker...I even find myself doing life savers and everyfink :shrug: All for the better though hey..

on the few times i drive i also find myself doing lifesavers but worse still is leaning into bends my sons pointed it out to me and i thought they were tacking the piss but then i noticed that i was, hope i dont do it on public transport lol

even when im riding shotgun in my parents cars' i find myself doing lifesavers, checking the mirrors and talking through the whole procedure. "mirror, mirror, lifesaver, indicate e.t.c..."

i reckon i'd be a better driver than my mum... LOL :P

on the few times i drive i also find myself doing lifesavers but worse still is leaning into bends my sons pointed it out to me and i thought they were tacking the piss but then i noticed that i was, hope i dont do it on public transport lol

haha...u should see me playing GP08 on PS2... :lol:

i notice you get more respect if you are on a big bike

AYE SHOKZ """" SO THE OLD SAYING [ SIZE THAT MATTERS ] IS TRUE THEN :lol::offtopic:

And wild/foamy" if u"d had a GARELLI 50.[Like us in70s] u could keep up wi traffic[viva"s/ minis/ old morris minors]

You see the cars nowa/days are so much more pwerfull. and ur DT50 is slower than our 50s [catch22] :(

Oh + car drivers their tough behind the wheel ???? ;)

:angry: I am getting really tired of this site, there's kids on 50's who are all experts. Been riding 5 minutes and no doubt still doing the school run with mum in her 4x4. Going on about slow acceleration of smaller bikes, keep talking and one day someone will take notice and ban the production of these little commuters.

Been driving 40 years and riding longer and trust me as %%%%%%%wise there are more idiots out there on bikes who put themselves and others at risk than there are car drivers.

I had a clown on Sunday who shot past me on a fireblade coming out of a 30 Mph zone , one has to wonder what speed he was doing in the 30 zone, 50 yards down the road he was talking to the local traffic officers, I got pulled to so they could have a look at my fazer to see if it was street legal, no worries standard bike, curiosty got the better of me, so the lad could keep his licience they settled on a figure @97mph. The area we were in if it had been down to me I would have had his bike crushed, I have seen this clown before and it is only a matter of time before he takes himself out, just as long as he leaves it at that, one can only hope he will learn but i doubt it. We all know the !!!sorry didn't see you mate scenario!!! when one gets T-boned at a junction but with clowns like that on the road???. Not all car drivers are bike aware but I think things are getting better. We need to be on the ball all the time as if you have a bump it WILL BE YOU WHO GETS HURT.

I believe the odds for motor cyclists getting injured compared to motorists is 35/1, as I said you will get hurt!!.

Stay save, but please loose this attitude that car drivers are bike killers it is simply not the case. I urge all bikers to sign up for a bike safe course most local police forces operate these excellent courses.

Grumpy oldman.

I agree with some of what you are saying, and disagree with other parts - too deep to go into I think, and it's been done to death on more than one thread. Besides it's all personal attitude and this makes it very subjective so in a debate no-one wins - but not doing it right could well see you in a wooden box. Food for thought?

Stay save, but please loose this attitude that car drivers are bike killers it is simply not the case.

You are right, not all of them, but the vast majority are either;

* Aren't aware of bikes,

* Are aware but don't really care,

* Are aware and try to block bikes,

* Are aware but try to outrun them/outbrake them/out perform etc

* Are aware, and do stupid things like drive in the gutter to give you room (throwing up all the crap at the same time) to get past - despite the fact there is a convoy of 40 ton trucks coming towards you (you get the picture)

and this makes them dangerous

There are lots of drivers who are aware and do the right thing - nothing, they maybe give you a discrete signal (a slight movement to the left (or right depending where you are), some propper eye contact or a quick flash of the indicator (turn signal) and then let you decide what to do. When you've riden as many miles as some of us (I firmly believe experience comes with time in the saddle - not years on your licience) you develope a sort of 6th sense as to what kind of driver is in your way, but it takes observation so clearly there are times when you cannot apply this experience and have to assume the worst case (i.e. - Mr 'I've been driving since 1950, so I have more right' to use this road' is going to pull out, causing Mrs 'I pay my road tax and my kids are late for school' to swearve and come into your path.

When you do something that pushes the bounderies and get away with it you become conditioned to acccept that as the norm, not many people learn from near misses, mainly because the get a 'buzz' from it, so the mind does it more and more and each time the 'buzz' is less effective so the boundery becomes more extreme. It's human nature, some like the safe zone, others like to push it to the absolute limits, it's how humanity has grown and developed.

Giving a driver the benefit of the doubt may result in you getting hurt, ride defensively all the time and you reduce this risk - hence teaching the young/inexperienced to treat all drivers like they are out to get you is pretty much the only way to get it across. You cannot teach experience, if you could you would be very rich - the problem with youth is it doesn't have the experience to know what how to make best use of it!

It's a bit annoying when you get new riders asking what appear to teadious questions, and then rebuking advice with what expereince has taught you to be wrong, but they have to learn and when they do we have a duty to pass on the benefit of our experience, otherwise motorcycling will suffer in the long run. Some might not care about anyone else, but give youth a chance - it's our future.

I agree with some of what you are saying, and disagree with other parts - too deep to go into I think, and it's been done to death on more than one thread. Besides it's all personal attitude and this makes it very subjective so in a debate no-one wins - but not doing it right could well see you in a wooden box. Food for thought?

You are right, not all of them, but the vast majority are either;

* Aren't aware of bikes,

* Are aware but don't really care,

* Are aware and try to block bikes,

* Are aware but try to outrun them/outbrake them/out perform etc

* Are aware, and do stupid things like drive in the gutter to give you room (throwing up all the crap at the same time) to get past - despite the fact there is a convoy of 40 ton trucks coming towards you (you get the picture)

and this makes them dangerous

There are lots of drivers who are aware and do the right thing - nothing, they maybe give you a discrete signal (a slight movement to the left (or right depending where you are), some propper eye contact or a quick flash of the indicator (turn signal) and then let you decide what to do. When you've riden as many miles as some of us (I firmly believe experience comes with time in the saddle - not years on your licience) you develope a sort of 6th sense as to what kind of driver is in your way, but it takes observation so clearly there are times when you cannot apply this experience and have to assume the worst case (i.e. - Mr 'I've been driving since 1950, so I have more right' to use this road' is going to pull out, causing Mrs 'I pay my road tax and my kids are late for school' to swearve and come into your path.

When you do something that pushes the bounderies and get away with it you become conditioned to acccept that as the norm, not many people learn from near misses, mainly because the get a 'buzz' from it, so the mind does it more and more and each time the 'buzz' is less effective so the boundery becomes more extreme. It's human nature, some like the safe zone, others like to push it to the absolute limits, it's how humanity has grown and developed.

Giving a driver the benefit of the doubt may result in you getting hurt, ride defensively all the time and you reduce this risk - hence teaching the young/inexperienced to treat all drivers like they are out to get you is pretty much the only way to get it across. You cannot teach experience, if you could you would be very rich - the problem with youth is it doesn't have the experience to know what how to make best use of it!

It's a bit annoying when you get new riders asking what appear to teadious questions, and then rebuking advice with what expereince has taught you to be wrong, but they have to learn and when they do we have a duty to pass on the benefit of our experience, otherwise motorcycling will suffer in the long run. Some might not care about anyone else, but give youth a chance - it's our future.

EPIC!!! I've got tears in my eyes. lol

Good points tho.

Just to add to this, here's an experience from last night.

Pulled out of work and turned right onto a normal urban road, 40 limit. My ongoing lane is clear. The oncoming lane is solid, stationary traffic. I'm moving up just past 25 when it happens...

Bloke in an Estatey Volvoey thing decides he can pull out of the line and blast down my lane. I know he's seen me. He flashes his lights a couple of times as I approach. I have seen him move out and am already slowing, planning an exit. He flashes his lights a couple of times and beeps his horn. I hear his engine rev as he speeds up.

Slowing further, I shift down into first and swerve to the extreme left, narrowly missing his right wing.

Having partial target lock, I catch him smiling and waving.

I'm supposed to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that was a passing apology.....

But he is a cock and I have no doubt.

Just to add to this, here's an experience from last night.

Pulled out of work and turned right onto a normal urban road, 40 limit. My ongoing lane is clear. The oncoming lane is solid, stationary traffic. I'm moving up just past 25 when it happens...

Bloke in an Estatey Volvoey thing decides he can pull out of the line and blast down my lane. I know he's seen me. He flashes his lights a couple of times as I approach. I have seen him move out and am already slowing, planning an exit. He flashes his lights a couple of times and beeps his horn. I hear his engine rev as he speeds up.

Slowing further, I shift down into first and swerve to the extreme left, narrowly missing his right wing.

Having partial target lock, I catch him smiling and waving.

I'm supposed to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that was a passing apology.....

But he is a cock and I have no doubt.

modus vivendi.....

I saw the same thing happen last year in Romania, could have been Bulagria, but for the fact the guy on the bike stopped nose to nose with the Barbie Girl in the BMUU, and waited.......

and she moved backwards, turning the car (as if to go around him), and he moved forwards ,,,,, and waited

this went on for about 100yards, all the while the traffic was building and everone was getting frustrated (I parked up just to have a good look),,,

She had to get back into the traffic in the end, about 10 cars back from where she started - Classic!

Gas-up: Classic example, DONT TAKE IT LYING DOWN

if that twat in the volvo had hit you then you would have been able to take him to court and no doubt he would have been punished for dangerous driving aswell as other offences.

even on my DT50 i dont take shit from anyone who thinks just because they have a big range rover the rules of the road dont apply to them, if someone tries to overtake me in a stupid place i stand my ground

i stand my ground

Just remember, in a game of chicken, ultimately the bigger object will win - if you go all the way.

if that twat in the volvo had hit you then you would have been able to take him to court and no doubt he would have been punished for dangerous driving aswell as other offences.

I couldn't see his number because of the headlights.

He was also speeding up.

Had he hit me, I'd likely have been made very, very dead.

Strangely, no-one would have witnessed the event or got his number.

There would have been a phonecall to my NOK at around 22:30 for her to come ID this body of some biker with her info hung round his neck.

Being "in the right" means fuck all when you cannot walk, talk or eat anything that isn't straw-fed.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online