What's the diffirence

axl
This post is 7275 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

well.

- sp has fully adjustable front suspension (honestly dont know if -94 R has too, 93 doesnt)

- sp has addjustable svingarm linkage

- sp has addjustable rear riding height

- sp has 39mm Keihin FCR aka Flatslide carburators

- sp has different 6-speed tranny. different inner gearing.

- sp only has driver seat, hence sp. single place.

- sp has removable rear subframe. some models and years of R has this too.

thats about it. faster, lighter bcs missing rear seat (2kg) and more track ready in many ways. its yam´s answer to kawasakis zxr 750 rr (the singleplace)

I have nearly everything you mention, but when you say adjustable forks from the top, do you mean from the top and bottom or just the top.

I dont know about sus/linkages haven't checked it yet, but there's an Ohlins shock, and there's a detachable rear subframe. I dont about the carbs either not yet, I also have a 6 sp tranny.

I suppose if you leave the seat hump it would be a single seat, but it does come off, I think thats about it.

I'll check a few things over the day or so.

I have nearly everything you mention, but when you say adjustable forks from the top, do you mean from the top and bottom or just the top.

I dont know about sus/linkages haven't checked it yet, but there's an Ohlins shock, and there's a detachable rear subframe. I dont about the carbs either not yet, I also have a 6 sp tranny.

I suppose if you leave the seat hump it would be a single seat, but it does come off, I think thats about it.

I'll check a few things over the day or so.

Adjustable 3-ways. 2 adjustments on top (preload+compression) and one at bottom for rebound.

the sus linkages have 2 mounting points in sp. and the upper shock mount (in your case the ohlins upper mount) is addjustable in sp (bolt mounted). it should not be addjustable in the R model (welded).

Im quite positive that you dont have the KEIHIN FCR´s, but mikuni 38mm´s. If you can hammer down your throttle below 6000rpm and the bike does not splutter and die, they are not keihins :D .

all yzf750´s have 6-speed tranny but internal gearing is different in SP. cant remember the gear-ratios, but this can be verified from Yzf race-KIT-manual.

the sp rear-fairing is permanent 1-seat unit. as the race fairing kits.

• Admin

I thought the only difference was flatside carbs, close ratio box and single seat

As i have had three yzfs (sort of) and they all have removable subframes, and adjustable front forks. Maybe the uk ones are different to yours :roll:

• Admin

I think on 96 models they were standard. However mine was maually added at a huge price :shock: Never realised how much they cost :roll:

it might be that the only non-removable subframe was in 93 mod but im not fully certain about this.

i dont think that any of the yzfs came with an ohlins - labeled rearshock. the std one has the external unit as well. hopefully it really says ohlins on the shock on your bike!! and not just some stickers on the oem one.

to be quite frank, the biggest difference in sp and r are the carburators and the gearbox. everything else can be compensated quite easily.

ah.. and there´s one thing more. on the right hand side of the frame, just besides front trippleclamps theres the "type-shield"... or whotever the hell is called in english... whish says the frame code of your bike. on mine it says YZF750SP, framenumber 000.....288.

• Admin

Called a vin plate over here "Vehicle Identification Nmber"