How far over?

wild foamy
This post is 5601 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi everyone.

just a quick question

i got a yamaha DT50MX, for its size it is a heavy bike and has knobbly tires, i usually drop to 3rd gear for cornering, about 25mph.

how far can i go over (lean) before the tyres let go? (and they are brand new knobblies) on dry tarmac on a good day.

i tried getting my knee down a few months ago on my sisters pushbike and ended up in somebodies garden with my jeans ripped and a lot of skin missing from my right knee, ever since then ive been a bit aprehensive about really going over incase i end up on my arse again

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

just take it to where you feel comfortable, but knobbly tires are really ment for grip off road and are not the best on tamac (especially wet, i have the knee to prove it) as for them being new tyres, with any new tyre you have to scuff it in to give it a better grip.

i learned

once your knee has touched the ground u are over enuff !

hi everyone.

just a quick question

i got a yamaha DT50MX, for its size it is a heavy bike and has knobbly tires, i usually drop to 3rd gear for cornering, about 25mph.

how far can i go over (lean) before the tyres let go? (and they are brand new knobblies) on dry tarmac on a good day.

i tried getting my knee down a few months ago on my sisters pushbike and ended up in somebodies garden with my jeans ripped and a lot of skin missing from my right knee, ever since then ive been a bit aprehensive about really going over incase i end up on my arse again

Geday Steve, One question. If you are mainly riding on the road, why run full knobby tyres? They wear out quick and are deadset dangerous. Go for a road/trail pattern. Better still with all the little perfomance scooters out there, you must be able to get a decent road tyre for the little bugger. Fit the skinniest,softest road tyre you can find and the difference will make it worth while and much safer! HAVE A BLAST! Paul.

• 4 weeks later...

Geday Steve, One question. If you are mainly riding on the road, why run full knobby tyres? They wear out quick and are deadset dangerous. Go for a road/trail pattern. Better still with all the little perfomance scooters out there, you must be able to get a decent road tyre for the little bugger. Fit the skinniest,softest road tyre you can find and the difference will make it worth while and much safer! HAVE A BLAST! Paul.

Have your mate lean the bike over for you when it's standing still and on level ground

Get down on your knees and see how much, and what shape, the rubber is which is actually touching the road.

While you are down on your knees put a word in for yourself if you are still determined to get your knee down with that combination

"Start off by practicing walking on water" may be the reply you'll get.

like its been said , get some road tyres, if ya cant get the to fit your rims, what about trying to convert it to road rims maybe from a 125 (ie motard )if its only road use ya do duno its an option

personally ive never tried getting my knee down just dont feel right to me ..yeah ok my bottle goes :lol: but im quite happy to grind the tips off my boots then having the same bike for a while i tend get used to the feel all my bikes i deck the pegs (even did on the gs1100 i had and that had rearsets..didnt realise id taken some of the side casing too :blink: )

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online