600 Divvy erratic idle

knocker
This post is 5693 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've had this problem on and off now for about 8 weeks, thought i'd sorted it over xmas but it seems to have come back.

I rode the bike 2 days ago, about 15 miles to work and it was fine, when i came to the ride home about 4 miles into my journey it started to feel a bit down on power and the idle revs had dropped to the point where it was almost cutting out, it was also backfiring badly on the overun, at first i'd put it down to carb icing as it was quite cold and damp.

Rode it to work the next day and as before the journey to work was without any problems but on the way home (in the rain) the back firing returned as did the really rough idle, the bike was fine when ridden at above 4kish revs and giving it a blast on a straight stretch of road seemed to cure the symptoms for a short time.

Went out to have a look this morning and the idle is now erratic as soon as i start it, it sound very very lumpy and the revs jump up and down, if i give it some gas it seems to splutter a little before picking up but as before once the revs are up past about 4k it seems to run fine.

I'm going to strip the carbs down again tomorrow and give them a proper clean as it feels like a fuelling issue but waht else could it be?

Really doing my head in now as without the bike i'm having to use the car for work which averages a rather expensive 19MPG :(

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've had this problem on and off now for about 8 weeks, thought i'd sorted it over xmas but it seems to have come back.

I rode the bike 2 days ago, about 15 miles to work and it was fine, when i came to the ride home about 4 miles into my journey it started to feel a bit down on power and the idle revs had dropped to the point where it was almost cutting out, it was also backfiring badly on the overun, at first i'd put it down to carb icing as it was quite cold and damp.

Rode it to work the next day and as before the journey to work was without any problems but on the way home (in the rain) the back firing returned as did the really rough idle, the bike was fine when ridden at above 4kish revs and giving it a blast on a straight stretch of road seemed to cure the symptoms for a short time.

Went out to have a look this morning and the idle is now erratic as soon as i start it, it sound very very lumpy and the revs jump up and down, if i give it some gas it seems to splutter a little before picking up but as before once the revs are up past about 4k it seems to run fine.

I'm going to strip the carbs down again tomorrow and give them a proper clean as it feels like a fuelling issue but waht else could it be?

Really doing my head in now as without the bike i'm having to use the car for work which averages a rather expensive 19MPG :(

Hi,

it seems I've got the same problem on my '99 FZS 600, it even stalls several times. I had some cracks in the carburettor to engine inlet rubbers, but when I replaced them, the cracks did not seem to be all the way through. And indeed this Friday I had the same problem again. I'll increase the idle speed a bit to see if that will help and I will try adding some Redex (see carb freeze item in this forum). It only seems to happen when it's quite cold. On my way back from work the bike always runs smoothly. It might be freezing of the carbs.

Will let you know how I'm getting along. Please post the solution when you've found it...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem on my xj600n, it does seem to have started since the weather got colder.

Like yours my bike starts fine but runs a little rough, when I come to lights after a few minuets it will cut out. If i leave it 20 - 30 seconds then start it up again it will happily tick over at 1500 revs for the rest of my journey.

I also thought it could have been carb freeze having had it before on my old Suzuki Intruder, but on this bike it has started doing it when im on my way home at night.

I'm going to try some fuel addatives and carb cleaner to see if that helps, will post my results.

Definitely sounds like something a good carb cleaning could take care of ;) ......

Don't forget to synch 'em when you're done......it DOES make a difference!

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Update:

I have given the old girl a tank full of Ultimate and a few hundred mill of Silkoline Pro FST and when she was running(not related) it did make a difference, everything seemed a little smoother and it kept it's revs to arround 1400.

I think Yamahead is right, my xj is an R reg with only 11k on the clock (of which i put 3k on in the last 6 months) and I know for a fact that it sat in a garage for 18 months before I bought it, so there is a good chance that Carb is a little dirty.