Hello All, new biker

Jeffro
This post is 5644 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all.

im new to bikes, just got myself a little 50cc scooter at the grand age of 36. i dont even get 1mph for each year of my life, as its struggles at 30mph, even tho i de-restricted it, but i guess my 16stone is not helping matters.

just need something that will do about 50mph for now.

looking to get myself a 125cc dragstar, to see me through the next year atleast, then will go for my das. (only doing it really because my old man says he's left me his electra glide and fat boy in his will) :D

just not got the time to do it at the moment, what with being a bus driver and having 3 young kids.

are there any dragstar owners around wokingham , berkshire area?

what are they like for getting parts / repairs / servicing etc, as i know they dont make the 125 anymore.

just looking for any of this info or any other tips before buying. Not seen many for sale, so just looking at pictures mainly, if there is an owner in berkshire who fancys showing me there bike, that would be good, and i will offer a cuppa tea, and maybe a biscuit ;)

cheers

jeffro

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi all.

im new to bikes, just got myself a little 50cc scooter at the grand age of 36. i dont even get 1mph for each year of my life, as its struggles at 30mph, even tho i de-restricted it, but i guess my 16stone is not helping matters.

looking to get myself a 125cc dragstar, to see me through the next year atleast, then will go for my das. (only doing it really because my old man says he's left me his electra glide and fat boy in his will) :D

just not got the time to do it at the moment, what with being a bus driver and having 3 young kids.

what are they like for getting parts / repairs / servicing etc, as i know they dont make the 125 anymore.

just looking for any of this info or any other tips before buying. Not seen many for sale, so just looking at pictures mainly, if there is an owner in berkshire who fancys showing me there bike, that would be good, and i will offer a cuppa tea, and maybe a biscuit ;)

cheers

jeffro

Hi jeffro,

Welcome to the forum, :D like you started on a twist and go did my CBT then had it de-restricted.

managed to get about 50mph out of it then after a while decided that I would go in for my test.

After looking around at all the 125's decided to go for a Honda varadero 125 XV ( sorry I know this is a yamaha forum )

but the bike suited me down to the ground. The varadero is such a big bike and is ideal for taller/larger riders.

Past my test on it then kept it for another two years just to gain a bit more experience before moving up to a 600.

Sorry cant give you any tips on a dragstar as I have never owned one, but I'm sure there is plenty of people out there

who will be willing to help. Good luck and safe riding Phil.

Short answer - YES!!

Given that there aren't many local Backpatch clubs and it's one of the smaller counties, Berkshire has a very high percentage of Cruisers!!

I and the wife both own 650 Dragstars for starters.

I have....1, 2, 3, 4....... Seven friends that I can think of who all ride Dragstars.

Then there's a load of others that I see around.

This is just Reading I'm talking about.

Plenty of clubs, groups and all that who will welcome you with open arms, mate.

Parts, servicing etc is fine and easy, although Yamaha are a tad expensive for OEM bits.

Still, no problems though.

A lot of the work you can do yourself, too.

Quite a few owners and former owners here (myself included), all of whom will tell you it's a cracking ride and possibly the best 125 Cruiser you could ask for.

Mine saw me happily through 12,000 odd miles.

Thanks guys. just got to do some searching now. not many of these about for sale.

couple of dealers have one with 2k price tags tho. 4000miles on the clock.

hi all.

cheers

jeffro

hi and welcome, i got into biking at the ripe old age of 52 (mi life crisis an all that) did cbt then bought 125 vt shadow to get confidence up -did direct access & passed 3rd time!!!!!--now the proud owner & rider of 650 dragstar custom--good luck

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online