xj600 exhaust

EPP
This post is 5433 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am in the middle of repairing the original exhaust for my 1990 xj600. I've successfully cut out the rotten middle section and fabricated a replacement in stainless steel. I'm having it welded up as we speak.

Then I came across this listing in ebay:

xj600 downpipes

Now for the newbie question...

Assuming these are indeed the correct parts for a pre-Diversion xj600, can anyone tell me what the deal is with buying silencers to fit? Are all silencers specific to bike make and model or should I be able to source generic ones with some kind of 'universal' bracket (where 'universal' generally means 'useless')? I couldn't find any genuine yamaha xj600 silencers, just the usual after market complete motad offering.

I know that whatever I use it will have to fit around the footpeg brackets, which the original silencers fit quite snugly under.

Cheers!

Ewan

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've been looking at those down pipes, and I've got a feeling they're for a Diversion even though the advert said they weren't.

A friend of mine mentioned that fact that any exhaust i have needs to be road legal - is the repair I'm doing with a replacement section in the middle of the exhaust likely to affect the MOT?

Ewan

I've been looking at those down pipes, and I've got a feeling they're for a Diversion even though the advert said they weren't.

A friend of mine mentioned that fact that any exhaust i have needs to be road legal - is the repair I'm doing with a replacement section in the middle of the exhaust likely to affect the MOT?

Ewan

a repair in the middle of the exhaust wont affect the MOT as long as it is not leaking and fixxed securely. they look at the silencer to see if it is road legal i.e. has a baffle of some sort to cut down the noise rather than a straight through pipe. the silencer/end can must be stamped, having said that i put the triumph through an MOT in northern ireland with cans i made myself and they didnt say anything,(very loud cans) and these test centres are goverment ran as opposed to the mainland uk where its the shops/garages that test them.

The part number he has listed is for the pre-Divi downpipes. The part number, however, has since been superceeded by this one: 4BR1461003. Not much of a change, but you may have more luck finding a set using this number.

If you were to buy these, can you not just fit the original end cans you have already? The bore will be the same size as what you have already. Or is it the link pipe between these downpipes and the end cans that you are having repaired?

As for the MOT, as long as the weld is secure (ie; nothing hanging off to present a hazard) and it doesn't leak, it will pass. Technically, all end cans should be marked with the BSI stamp for road use. In reality, most MOT testers will pass the bike anyway as long as your end can isn't taking the piddle on noise.

Personally, I don't get the noise issue when Harleys are a lot louder as standard (bloody awful sound IMHO) and they have no issues with the noise regs :angry:

Cheers for info about MOT. Should be no problem with the part I've had made.

The original end cans are welded to the manifold (all mild steel), and brackets are used to attach the manifold to the down pipes. I had to cut the down pipes as they enter the manifold (as they are tapered and I needed to get rid of the tapered section so I could mate them to the replacement part I've made) and then cut the manifold from the end cans (about an eight inch section in total, full of holes). I wish it were as simple as separate end cans, link pipes and down pipes!

I guess I would need link pipes for the part on ebay, but I've no idea what would fit. I would possibly be able to cut the end cans off at the right point to allow me to clamp them to the link pipes though.

I'll probably just stick to repairing what I've got, now that I've had the part made. It's an old bike, and no show winner, so I don't want to get carried away with costs!

If I get round to it I'll post a picture or the exploded view of the exhaust from the manual. You'll see what I mean then about how it all fits together.

Cheers,

Ewan

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to copying the diagram from the manual:

xj600exhaust.jpg

After having the manifold welded up, I removed the can and had them shot blasted clean. They aren't in bad condition onder the surface rust. Sprayed them with vht paint (not the nicest finish, but functional) and reinstalled them together with the new manfold. Has worked pretty well.

Cheers for all the advice - always helps me decide what to do next!

• 4 months later...

Has anyone tried these?

will post anyway for future reference, if theyre as they seem will be a good fix for the stupid f@rkin rotty steel mid section of an otherwise stainless system, who thinks these things up?

the marketing and sales guys, I would guess

anyway, fix is here :icon_arrowd:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...%3D1&_rdc=1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online