xj550

oldtimer
This post is 5721 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i am looking at buying this bike a xj550 1981 with 46k on it mot and tax ,two spare wheels £595 what are your thoughts boys, have put in a bid of £495 but might give him full price as i like the older bikes,

a05e_1.jpg

addc_1.jpg

9644_1.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i am looking at buying this bike a xj550 1981 with 46k on it mot and tax ,two spare wheels £595 what are your thoughts boys, have put in a bid of £495 but might give him full price as i like the older bikes,

Hi from the photo's the main stand is snafued (perhaps), you may need to insure that the frame is ok where the main stand fits. On a service point of view the motor is quite good as long as the oil has been changed at regular intervals. On inspection of the motor you may hear a knock from the cam area, this will be bad setup of the carbs and not an engine fault you will need some vaccum guages, yics tool and a small screwdriver to get around this problem, but if it knocks perhaps the price could be adjusted to compensate for the engine noise ;) if you are short of the tools I have the lot !

Regards Jim

thanks for the advice and the offer jim, as the bike is 240 miles from me i have a old mate who is going to have a look at it for me, held back on the offer till i hear from him, regards paul

Speaking from experience......hard to go wrong with an XJ550 OldTimer ;)

46k on the clock is just getting warmed up......had well over 130k on mine when I sold it....& it ran like a champ. B)

Speaking from experience......hard to go wrong with an XJ550 OldTimer ;)

46k on the clock is just getting warmed up......had well over 130k on mine when I sold it....& it ran like a champ. B)

well its all irrelevant now as i got outbid pity i should have give him the money he wanted instead of being clever and knocking him down.

nice bike you got there where was the river you took the picture? i lived over your side of the pond in the early seventies first in st francis and then moved to cedar rapids till i went back in the army,cold winters plenty of snow but got into baseball and followed the brewers.

Shame about the 550...... :mellow:

Where I took the pic was in Oregon City (south of Portland Oregon)......where the Clackamas river (from the left) ends into the Willamette river.

XT6SuMo007.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online