Removing alternator rotor??

ExecutivePowerNap
This post is 5724 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey o!

So according to the manual I should be able to just 'remove rotor' being that it has brushes and is not a 'later model'. Sure doesn't seem to be the case. Obviously the cover is off, and the stator is removed but the rotor won't budge! Does this require some kind of rotor puller tool? Is there any way I can make my own if this is the case?

Thanks/Cheers!

Guenther

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey o!

So according to the manual I should be able to just 'remove rotor' being that it has brushes and is not a 'later model'. Sure doesn't seem to be the case. Obviously the cover is off, and the stator is removed but the rotor won't budge! Does this require some kind of rotor puller tool? Is there any way I can make my own if this is the case?

Thanks/Cheers!

Guenther

you need a tool or 2, if the bike is an aircooled FZ600 you will need a holder in order to remove the bolt holding the rotor on (quite an odd tool as it has to hook over the rotor and lock it against the crankcase) then a puller (big bolt) to draw the rotor from it's shaft. If your bike has brushes built into the cover I guess your bike is aircooled but never having taken a liquid cooled bike down I cannot be sure if this is the same , if you are stripping an aircooled motor further you will also need a torx driver to remove the oil seal and oil sprayer.

Regards Jim

you need a tool or 2, if the bike is an aircooled FZ600 you will need a holder in order to remove the bolt holding the rotor on (quite an odd tool as it has to hook over the rotor and lock it against the crankcase) then a puller (big bolt) to draw the rotor from it's shaft. If your bike has brushes built into the cover I guess your bike is aircooled but never having taken a liquid cooled bike down I cannot be sure if this is the same , if you are stripping an aircooled motor further you will also need a torx driver to remove the oil seal and oil sprayer.

Regards Jim

Your quite the base of knowledge around here aren't you? Good to hear from you again.

Yes the brushes are built into the cover/aircooled

This tool you speak of, is it something I'm gonna have to buy. I don't know of any place that rents/loans tools. I am fairly new at this though. Advanced Auto & Autozone lend tools but only for cars. Any other application that might cross over (pulling hub bearings or something? :huh: )

where could I find a picture of the hook tool you're talking about? I might be able to whip one up.

Cheers :buzz:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online