trying to rebuild a DT360

SiCC
This post is 5734 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

trying to restore (make it run) a 74 DT360 i picked up. tore down the engine and cleaned some water/rust out of the flywheel/stator.

as i was putting the magnets back in, one of them cracked up into a few pieces. lost a bid on ebay for a flywheel, and the pickins are slim atm.

was wondering if theres compatible flywheels or magnetos from other models that i can look for on the web. checked some part numbers and tried to eye ball some, but i dont wanna plunk down cash unless i have a good indication it will work. actually, it would be a bonus if i could just find the magnets as the housing is fine.

any ideas?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

trying to restore (make it run) a 74 DT360 i picked up. tore down the engine and cleaned some water/rust out of the flywheel/stator.

as i was putting the magnets back in, one of them cracked up into a few pieces. lost a bid on ebay for a flywheel, and the pickins are slim atm.

was wondering if theres compatible flywheels or magnetos from other models that i can look for on the web. checked some part numbers and tried to eye ball some, but i dont wanna plunk down cash unless i have a good indication it will work. actually, it would be a bonus if i could just find the magnets as the housing is fine.

any ideas?

The rotor assembly used on the 1974 DT360 A is year specific as they only made this model one year. Unless you change your entire ignition system you are stuck finding this part. The part # is 445-85550-20-00. If you want a new one Speed & Sport has (1) avaliable for $287.33 or just keep trying to locate a new one. I would go after the next one you see, they don't come up often.

The rotor assembly used on the 1974 DT360 A is year specific as they only made this model one year. Unless you change your entire ignition system you are stuck finding this part. The part # is 445-85550-20-00. If you want a new one Speed & Sport has (1) avaliable for $287.33 or just keep trying to locate a new one. I would go after the next one you see, they don't come up often.

i was worried about that. kinda got that idea as i was searching thru part catalogs.

feel free not to answer if its too involved, but what all goes into changing the ignition system? do they all put out the same voltage and i would just need to modify connectors and such? or is there a lot involved?

thanks for the reply, appreciated.

i was worried about that. kinda got that idea as i was searching thru part catalogs.

feel free not to answer if its too involved, but what all goes into changing the ignition system? do they all put out the same voltage and i would just need to modify connectors and such? or is there a lot involved?

thanks for the reply, appreciated.

You can put a points system out of a 1974 DT 250 A in which parts are fairly easy to find. You can go with a PVL Ignition which is around $500 or just make sure you win the next one on E BAY. The CDI Ignition system on your bike is old and bound to have more problems now and into the future. The parts are difficult to find. If you have a really nice bike I would just probably look into the analog PVL Ingnition and be done with it. You will probably end up spending more than that on the old system. Our you can do like me and buy all the spares you can find to insure you have parts for the future. Alot of the time you can find a "parts bike" at a good price with lots of spares. Good luck with your bike, it's a great one.

couldnt find a decently priced flywheel on ebay. i stumbled onto this:

Yamaha XT 350 1986 XT350 enduro flywheel

asked the seller to measure, never heard back from him. took a chance and bought it. magnets are exact. outside housing is almost exact. the bolt hole is slightly larger, but i wont know if it will fit.

doesnt matter either way, all i needed was the magnets.

thanks for the help, appreciate it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online