Re chroming parts

Guest bulldogsguk
This post is 5646 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Guest bulldogsguk

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it is expensive to have the gearbox and engine covers re chromed on the xvs 650 as mine are very shabby and would like them to look good for the summer.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yes, it is comparatively expensive.

Do they really need re-chroming, or is it just a case of some serious polishing?

It can be dear but that all depends on the condition - To answer your first Q can you polish it up - That again depends on the condition - If its peeled - or rubbed off leaving the nickel below (a dulish silver with a tint of green) then no you cant polish it up. If the chrome is still in tact then you may be in luck - Try a good restorers polish from say english custom polish, you can google them they now trade as brilliantpolishes.co.uk. They do good chrome polish. If your very brave you cud try mopping it up - but ve sure to use the right compounds and go easy - the chrome will polish off leaving the nickel below.

Best bet is to take some images and send them to a chromer such as Ashford Chroming http://www.ashfordchroming.co.uk ([email protected]). I had my primary cover done - they stripped and triple plated it. It turned out a treat. They do a postal service and are very helpful.

I have had bits done before and it's much cheaper to chrome parts that were chromed as opose to chroming casings that are blasted or rough finish as they need a lot of polishing work.

There number is 01233 660879 i dealt with Louise

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it is expensive to have the gearbox and engine covers re chromed on the xvs 650 as mine are very shabby and would like them to look good for the summer.

Guest bulldogsguk

Hi, yes mine is heavily corroded (flaking) so they would have to be re done. I shall price up the cost of having them re chromed against buying second hand parts from ebay and make my decision from there. Thank you for your help on this matter, I do feel slightly ashamed when I park my bike up next to those that look pristine.

It can be dear but that all depends on the condition - To answer your first Q can you polish it up - That again depends on the condition - If its peeled - or rubbed off leaving the nickel below (a dulish silver with a tint of green) then no you cant polish it up. If the chrome is still in tact then you may be in luck - Try a good restorers polish from say english custom polish, you can google them they now trade as brilliantpolishes.co.uk. They do good chrome polish. If your very brave you cud try mopping it up - but ve sure to use the right compounds and go easy - the chrome will polish off leaving the nickel below.

Best bet is to take some images and send them to a chromer such as Ashford Chroming http://www.ashfordchroming.co.uk ([email protected]). I had my primary cover done - they stripped and triple plated it. It turned out a treat. They do a postal service and are very helpful.

I have had bits done before and it's much cheaper to chrome parts that were chromed as opose to chroming casings that are blasted or rough finish as they need a lot of polishing work.

There number is 01233 660879 i dealt with Louise

Guest bulldogsguk

Definately needs chroming as it has flaked away.

Yes, it is comparatively expensive.

Do they really need re-chroming, or is it just a case of some serious polishing?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online