1973 MX 250 Parts Availability

Yamaha107
This post is 5590 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am comsidering purchasing a 1973 MX250 that will need some restoration. This will also be my first attempt

at any kind of a restoration and I've got a few general questions.

Which parts will be most difficult and/or expensive to locate for the 73 MX 250?

What areas of the bike should I pay particular attention to when going to look at it.

Could anyone share any photos or experiences on a similar restoration. I guess

I'm trying to figure out how much I can bite off for a first time restoration and if

this model bike would be a good candiate.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I am comsidering purchasing a 1973 MX250 that will need some restoration. This will also be my first attempt

Which parts will be most difficult and/or expensive to locate for the 73 MX 250?

What areas of the bike should I pay particular attention to when going to look at it.

I'm trying to figure out how much I can bite off for a first time restoration and if

All parts are still avaliable, what is missing on the bike, how much are you going to pay for it and what is the intended purpose for the bike once you own it.

All parts are still avaliable, what is missing on the bike, how much are you going to pay for it and what is the intended purpose for the bike once you own it.

Well, it definitley wasn't as advertised. Asking price is $700, alll plastic is shot, tank pretty beat but the inside doesn't look too bad, rear shocks not original and appear to be too long as the bike is sitting in a stink bug stance, original carb has been replaced by one that appears way too big causing the float bowl to sit on the case, oil injection system disabled to run pre-mix, clutch extremely difficult to pull in, a kick stand appears to have been welded to the frame and looks like the welder was a newbie, front fork seals shot but no rust on them and the exhaust pipe is busted off at the baffle. The bike wouldn't start without dumping some fuel down the plug hole and only ran for a second using up that fuel, I suspect the carb is gummed up pretty good and the throttle was really hard to twist.Also needs new handle bars.

What I really want is something I could restore to look almost new, after looking last night this might be more than I want to bite off for a first attempt.

Well, it definitley wasn't as advertised. Asking price is $700, alll plastic is shot, tank pretty beat but the inside doesn't look too bad, rear shocks not original and appear to be too long as the bike is sitting in a stink bug stance, original carb has been replaced by one that appears way too big causing the float bowl to sit on the case, oil injection system disabled to run pre-mix, clutch extremely difficult to pull in, a kick stand appears to have been welded to the frame and looks like the welder was a newbie, front fork seals shot but no rust on them and the exhaust pipe is busted off at the baffle. The bike wouldn't start without dumping some fuel down the plug hole and only ran for a second using up that fuel, I suspect the carb is gummed up pretty good and the throttle was really hard to twist.Also needs new handle bars.

What I really want is something I could restore to look almost new, after looking last night this might be more than I want to bite off for a first attempt.

Just keep watching e bay/ craiglist and such, one will show up.

• 2 weeks later...

are you still looking for a yamaha mx250 i have a 1974 that runs. it is complete even has the original fork brace, i also have some extra parts and climber repair book. the mx runs but it needs a head gasket i have a brand new base gasket for it. it has a cheep set of tires that are almost new. i was thinking $700 let me know if you would be interested and i will shoot you some pictures.

are you still looking for a yamaha mx250 i have a 1974 that runs. it is complete even has the original fork brace, i also have some extra parts and climber repair book. the mx runs but it needs a head gasket i have a brand new base gasket for it. it has a cheep set of tires that are almost new. i was thinking $700 let me know if you would be interested and i will shoot you some pictures.

Iowa might be a little too far for me to chase a bike. Right now I've got a line on a 1978 YZ250, that is complete and runs good, cosemtically it needs some attention to make it look really nice, but since this is my first go at a vintage bike that might be a good start. It also come with a spare parts bike that does need some carb work and the rear shock rebuilt. All for about $800

Iowa might be a little too far for me to chase a bike. Right now I've got a line on a 1978 YZ250, that is complete and runs good, cosemtically it needs some attention to make it look really nice, but since this is my first go at a vintage bike that might be a good start. It also come with a spare parts bike that does need some carb work and the rear shock rebuilt. All for about $800

thats cool iv got a 79yz 400 that i love, those older yzs are cool, if you want to chat about yz's once you get it let me know i have been building and racing yz's since 1975 and currently own 6, good luck on your restore.

thats cool iv got a 79yz 400 that i love, those older yzs are cool, if you want to chat about yz's once you get it let me know i have been building and racing yz's since 1975 and currently own 6, good luck on your restore.

Any suggestion for a good source for the rear shock rebuild? I probably won't race this thing but it would be nice to able to if I change my mind.

Seems like plastic and seat covers are easy to come by and I know a good local powder coater that would take care of most of the cosmetics.

Any suggestion for a good source for the rear shock rebuild? I probably won't race this thing but it would be nice to able to if I change my mind.

Seems like plastic and seat covers are easy to come by and I know a good local powder coater that would take care of most of the cosmetics.

you can buy a works performance shock for the same price as a rebuild thats what i did, the best place i have found for a seat cover was VRM racing out of portland he has the best quality and fit for around $35, he also has a ebay store. DC plastics makes complete plastic kits including brand new tanks, they also have a ebay store. vintage Iron out of fresno california is another good source but a bit pricey. I sorry for taking so long to answer had to go to the emergancy room, had a rupture in my colon. just got home. i will do some research on the shock rebuilding for you incase you want to keep it original.

you can buy a works performance shock for the same price as a rebuild thats what i did, the best place i have found for a seat cover was VRM racing out of portland he has the best quality and fit for around $35, he also has a ebay store. DC plastics makes complete plastic kits including brand new tanks, they also have a ebay store. vintage Iron out of fresno california is another good source but a bit pricey. I sorry for taking so long to answer had to go to the emergancy room, had a rupture in my colon. just got home. i will do some research on the shock rebuilding for you incase you want to keep it original.

Dang!, a ruptured colon doesn't sound so good, no need to apologize, I appreciate all the info.

This deal probably won't happen until mid March. The short story is I bumped into an old HS riding buddy in an airport. I told him I was looking for a vintage project and he still has one of his bikes he bought new in 78 and last year picked up a parts bike to rebuild it. He said he will hold them for me until Spring Break when I can drive the 500 miles to pick them up.

Dang!, a ruptured colon doesn't sound so good, no need to apologize, I appreciate all the info.

This deal probably won't happen until mid March. The short story is I bumped into an old HS riding buddy in an airport. I told him I was looking for a vintage project and he still has one of his bikes he bought new in 78 and last year picked up a parts bike to rebuild it. He said he will hold them for me until Spring Break when I can drive the 500 miles to pick them up.

besides the pain the worst part is the all liquid diet for a couple of weeks. are you going to race it when you get done, if so the works performance shock is the only way to go. my 1980 YZ465 has one it was night and day difference in the performance. no more yamahop in the woops or braking bumps. the only way i would stay with the stock one is if i were restoring the yz to showroom specs and not racing.

besides the pain the worst part is the all liquid diet for a couple of weeks. are you going to race it when you get done, if so the works performance shock is the only way to go. my 1980 YZ465 has one it was night and day difference in the performance. no more yamahop in the woops or braking bumps. the only way i would stay with the stock one is if i were restoring the yz to showroom specs and not racing.

Well, I wouldn't race it much if at all, I don't think I could get it back to showroom specs without spending some serious cash, eventually I want to find a bike I could do that with but probably not this one. This 78 YZ is pretty cool looking and my 06 250f is a yellow anniversary edition so I think it wil be cool to have both of those and not feel bad about getting the YZ dirty or scratched up. I am actually partial to the old TM's and alloy tank RM's since that is what I rode as a kid. I may consider sinking real money into one of those to get a showroom restoration, someday.

Don,

I live in Rochester. You still interested in selling the MX250?

this thread seams to have taken a bit of a turn over to the YZ side of things.

i'm in Oz and am currently building an MX250 and have found the rear sprocket to be the hardest part so far to source.

the crankshaft/rod kit was also looking a little dodgey but i've managed to find another motor with a good bottom end/crank so that solves that. piston sizes go up to 2mm o/s and can be easily found but i'm still on the lookout for an origional air-filter element and cage if anyone knows of a good source.

Don,

I live in Rochester. You still interested in selling the MX250?

sorry about taking so long to get back to you. yes i am still interested in selling the MX250. my email is [email protected]. we can exchange some pictures.

this thread seams to have taken a bit of a turn over to the YZ side of things.

i'm in Oz and am currently building an MX250 and have found the rear sprocket to be the hardest part so far to source.

the crankshaft/rod kit was also looking a little dodgey but i've managed to find another motor with a good bottom end/crank so that solves that. piston sizes go up to 2mm o/s and can be easily found but i'm still on the lookout for an origional air-filter element and cage if anyone knows of a good source.

those sprockets are on ebay all the time, ebay item# 360127645178 they fit a wide variety of yamahas from about 1971-1974 MX DT AT1 SC500 the ebay seller with that item number has 3 for sale.Yamaha has a online parts catalog i use it all the time to compare parts and part numbers. yamaha is the master of reusing older parts on more current designs so if you dig deep enough you can still find most engine parts new it just takes a lot of leg work. good luck on your restore.

Hey Don, i checked that rear sprocket but unfortunately it won't fit the std MX/SC 73/74 rear hub as they are different to the DT {cush drive} versions. and 44 teeth is just a no-go for my MX bike as i need around a 51~53. got the sprocket issue sorted now anyway. was able to put another sprocket from another bike in the lathe and machine the centre out to suit. main hurdle i need to jump now is an airfilter cage but if i'm unable to find one, it should be easy enough to make. that and time. anyone got any spare time?

Hey Don, i checked that rear sprocket but unfortunately it won't fit the std MX/SC 73/74 rear hub as they are different to the DT {cush drive} versions. and 44 teeth is just a no-go for my MX bike as i need around a 51~53. got the sprocket issue sorted now anyway. was able to put another sprocket from another bike in the lathe and machine the centre out to suit. main hurdle i need to jump now is an airfilter cage but if i'm unable to find one, it should be easy enough to make. that and time. anyone got any spare time?

I will go to my storage in the morning and see i may have one laying around, i know for sure i have a extra seat and cylinder, but i cant remember if the air filter and cage were any good, sorry about the sprocket, i baught a 53 from him two weeks ago and it bolted right on. i guess i did not check the auction close enough. i will post in the morning on the are filter and cage.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online