heated grips on a 125 dragstar

oldtimer
This post is 5647 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

well today i thought i might get a set of heated grips and hein gericke had an offer on , have had them on other bikes but not on this bike, so off i went to get them, as i was buying them the guy looked through the window and asked me what size engine the bike was i replied its a 125 dragstar at which point he put the heated grips back on the shelf with no good for you mate they would drain your battery cant fit them on 125 bikes, as its a 12 volt battery i did not think it would be a problem? but he would not sell me any whos right?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

well today i thought i might get a set of heated grips and hein gericke had an offer on , have had them on other bikes but not on this bike, so off i went to get them, as i was buying them the guy looked through the window and asked me what size engine the bike was i replied its a 125 dragstar at which point he put the heated grips back on the shelf with no good for you mate they would drain your battery cant fit them on 125 bikes, as its a 12 volt battery i did not think it would be a problem? but he would not sell me any whos right?

I guess the guy was right !!! I would doubt your genny has enough extra load to run the grips ... you could do a bit of maths (having the genny output & full load from the standard equipment which will give you any extra capacity in the system if the grips dont overload the system its ok.). You have a 12v system but you need to take into account how much the genny kicks out ...

Regards Jim

Many dealers would just sell you the grips without asking, then after you go to the trouble of fitting them (which sometimes means modifying the throttle grip tube) after doing all this you find your battery going flat, seems he did you a favour, perhaps you were lucky he saw your bike after all!

Why not buy Oxford? They have a cut off switch so that they dont drain the battery if you accidentally leave them on.

thanks jim and og your both right, i think now having looked at it again he did me a favour and as i am thinking of going back to a bigger bike it was a waste of money in the long term

Why not buy Oxford? They have a cut off switch so that they dont drain the battery if you accidentally leave them on.

accidently leave them on ! of course i would, half the time i cant find my glasses its only when i pass a mirror that i realise they are on my head lol

I would guess they would drain the battery just by being switched on. So an on/off switch would be good, so you could leave them turned off permanent, so the genny could actually do what it is supposed to do :D

Regards Jim

Some versions will automatically switch off when teh voltage drops below something like 11.6V, too.

Don't think the Cruiser models do that, though.

At least, mine doesn't.

Either way - If you do this, wire it via a relay through a switched live!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online