oil changes

liquidcooled
This post is 7412 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

how often do you change the oil in your bike and what brand do you use? i've always used castrol and change the oil every 2k miles. my dad has ALWAYS changed the oil in his hondas every 1k miles :shock: just interested what you guys do

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Silkolene 10/40 semi-synthetic and new GENUINE oil filter every 1500 miles. Or less if it's been standing over Winter.

Amazes me how many of these sad Power Rangers will willingly pay a grand for new colour coordinated leathers, yet won't pay £40 for an oil and filter change.

how often do you change the oil in your bike and what brand do you use? i've always used castrol and change the oil every 2k miles. my dad has ALWAYS changed the oil in his hondas every 1k miles :shock:  just interested what you guys do

With a lot of research on the web re car verses motorcycle oil I now use Havoline premium 15/40 and change every 1500 to 2000 miles.(from ASDA)

Not sure wether Im doing the right thing tho but the TDM seems to be smoother on it.

Tried Halfords fully synthetic motorcycle oil once and it made the clutch slip.

mac

I won't risk anything other than genuine for an oil filter Alan.

And as far as car v motorcycle oil goes....well, the jury's still out on that.

But personally for the sake of an extra tenner, I prefer the peace of mind of using a specific motorcycle oil. An extra £30 a year is better than replacing an engine!

From my experience the shittiest filters around are Fram.

Also if your engine blew up while under warranty and you'd fitted an aftermarket filter then you're fucked.

And even if you are out of warranty and a genuine filter caused an engine problem, then Yam and Kwak would stand behind the product and sort you out. Honda could well do it too.....but Shitzuki? No fucking chance whether it's inside or outside warranty. You're fucked.

Again, like oil, for the sake of saving a couple of quid, is it worth the risk to fit non-recommended alternatives?

I won't risk anything other than genuine for an oil filter Alan.

And as far as car v motorcycle oil goes....well, the jury's still out on that.

But personally for the sake of an extra tenner, I prefer the peace of mind of using a specific motorcycle oil. An extra £30 a year is better than replacing an engine!

You are pos right but if you look at the spec req in your manual it will not be very high and will not state it a synthetic or mineral is req.

Nearly all m/cycle oils r SG rated this is clased as a low grade oil in car terms,an oil used for very old vehicles and not found anymore because car engine technology has

come along way since SG and so has the oil.

The oil now has to cope with very high reving sports and turbo charged engines hense

oil grade SL.

The way im seeing it is that if my bike recomend a spec of SG I will not put in anything less but an SH or SL is a higher spec so better protection.

The only prob I see is the clutch if used ecconomy oils with improved addatives.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online