help needed with a 1998 r1

Tim Earp
This post is 5658 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone i have just brought a 1998 r1 and i am haveing a few problems when i start the bike the rev counter flicks up to 7000 rpm for a couple of seconds the goes back down

also petrol drips out of one of the pipes on the bottom of the fuel tank quite badly and the end of the pipe freezes

Thanks for any help

Tim.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The 7k error code is for a seized EXUP valve. The EXUP is located inside the belly pan under the engine. If you look at where the headers meet on the exhaust, after that towards the end can is a box with a lid on it, held in by two (or three, I can't remember) socket screws. These usually get siezed by the usual abuse of normal use so you will need to soak in WD40 for at least 48 hours before trying to remove them. I have an EXUP refurb guide if you want to PM me your e-mail address.

As for the pipe issue, I would recommend buying a couple of metres of fuel hose and replacing the affected bits. You may also need to invest in a couple of small hose clamps if the ones that hold the hoses to the tank are missing (they are only small and usually get lost at some point).

You are going to love the Exup,, if it ain`t been serviced on a regular basis it`s going to be a royal pain !!

If you do as madison says and you are lucky enough to get all the bolts out ok, make sure you change them for all stainless items and when you replace them make sure you use plenty of Copper Slip...........

As for the pipe issue, I would recommend buying a couple of metres of fuel hose and replacing the affected bits. You may also need to invest in a couple of small hose clamps if the ones that hold the hoses to the tank are missing (they are only small and usually get lost at some point).

the fuel hoses them self are fine no splits or cracks got all the clips too.

could it be some thing wrong with the tank it self becauce as soon as i put a bit of petrol it the tank it leak's with out starting the engine or anything.

Thanks again

Tim

Sounds like your tank has either started to rot from the inside, or the gasket on the fuel tap wants replacing.

I suppose it could always be perished carb mounting rubbers (the bits that hold the carbs on to the block).

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online