Removing shock bolt

HoggyF
This post is 5738 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

Any suggestions on removing a siezed shock bolt? the steel bolt has seized into the alloy "rocker" on the bottom of the linkage. The shock turns freely on the sleeve as the bushes were all replaced a couple of years ago but no amount of persuasion, heat' WD40 etc seems to get it moving.

Somebody must have some ideas, I've tried the biggest hammer I've got but I think it willl damage the rocker if I give it any more grief.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Torch/cut the head of the bolt off. Remove the shock. You should now have more to work with. If you still can`t twist it out? Cut it off. Re drill and tap the hole. Ya I know. It`s alot of work. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Hi all

Any suggestions on removing a siezed shock bolt? the steel bolt has seized into the alloy "rocker" on the bottom of the linkage. The shock turns freely on the sleeve as the bushes were all replaced a couple of years ago but no amount of persuasion, heat' WD40 etc seems to get it moving.

Somebody must have some ideas, I've tried the biggest hammer I've got but I think it willl damage the rocker if I give it any more grief.

Thanks

This is the wrong stuff to use. You need to use a penetrating fluid and give it time. The item has seized due to corrosion so you need to penetrate that. When you re-assemble put some grease on the bolt.

I haven't worked out how to send pics yet it keeps asking for a URL? if you can advise on how to list pics I'll send them up.

Thanks

Hoggy

• Open a photobucket account
  • Upload your pics there
  • with each pic you will see four fields
  • Copy the IMG field
  • Paste into the forum

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online