Numberplate recognition

mark h
This post is 5655 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Pulled over yesterday, "Just a quick check sir" No great shakes, gave me a chance to have

a fag (the ash tray on my bike was full), Whilst one officer walked slowly round and round

the bike, Probably wishing he had one, The other was reading my papers, And having a chat

(as they do) AS IF, Probably checking for signs of alcohol / hangover, It being 8 ish new years

morning, who in there right mind would be cruising in the bitter cold, (well i would),

My query is, Don`t they just put your index number in there computer, And receive Bike / owner

details, Strait away?, I know they were probably checking ME out,

Any insight into this GAS-UP?.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

They were probably checking to make sure your bike was road-worthy. ie: had tyres with a decent tread, the can was legal, etc etc etc.

When they ask for a PNC check it gives them details of the vehicle, and they can do one on you too - and its not always immediate.

i suppose they COULD just get it all form their computers and gadgets, but how do they know you are actually the owner and you havent nicked it?

also, it is their job to make our country safer, that involves checking both vehicle and driver are fit to be on the road. usually they will only pull you over if you show probably cause (i.e. you give them a reason to pull you over)

thankfully, in my 2 and half months on the road i have only been pulled over once, and that was because my L-plate had blown off the back whilst i was going down the link-road into town, they were very understanding and after retrieving the L-plate and tapeing it on, i was on my way again (no £30 fine thankfully, could have happened to anyone)

shit!!!!

just seen the news that our local gestapo here in donegal have just been issued with no less than 118 ANPR cars.

i will need to get some paperwork for the car,van and the bike. the bike has northern plates still registered to the last owner for the past 2 years and is insured in scotland. may have to pay the VRT and the sky-high insurance in the south.

shit!!!!

just seen the news that our local gestapo here in donegal have just been issued with no less than 118 ANPR cars.

i will need to get some paperwork for the car,van and the bike. the bike has northern plates still registered to the last owner for the past 2 years and is insured in scotland. may have to pay the VRT and the sky-high insurance in the south.

so are you saying that if you got caught speeding on a camera then the previous owner would be sent the fine and that none of your vehicles are legal anyway?

so are you saying that if you got caught speeding on a camera then the previous owner would be sent the fine and that none of your vehicles are legal anyway?

the bike has only done about 3000 miles since i got her and there are no static cameras here only mobile and they deal with you there and then. never been done. and as for the vehicles not being legal it usually the tax that is out by a couple of months. only had one car in the last 9 years that was totally legal and it only lasted about a fortnight as some old guy wrote it off for me.

What's the point of having insurance from Scotland? Surely the first accident you have, your details are checked and any irregularities may make it invalid anyway? I'm not an expert, just what I would have assumed :unsure:

also, previous bike owner would have told DVLA he hasn't got it wouldn't he?

overall im a big fan of ANPR, i drive an old-dog of a rust-bucket Mondeo and i never get pulled because of the vehicles is fully legal. I live right next to the Bristol Ring-Road and it is very funny when the traffic police get up there tugging the people who think the law doesn't apply to them.

Pulled over yesterday, "Just a quick check sir" No great shakes, gave me a chance to have

a fag (the ash tray on my bike was full), Whilst one officer walked slowly round and round

the bike, Probably wishing he had one, The other was reading my papers, And having a chat

(as they do) AS IF, Probably checking for signs of alcohol / hangover, It being 8 ish new years

morning, who in there right mind would be cruising in the bitter cold, (well i would),

My query is, Don`t they just put your index number in there computer, And receive Bike / owner

details, Strait away?, I know they were probably checking ME out,

Any insight into this GAS-UP?.

If it was a proper car (not one of those noddy things, that they let anyone drive) then it almost definitly had ANPR, so they new before they gave you a tug that nothings was untoward, however the ANPR system is a little behind so it's only as good as it's last link up, as is the PNC - these thing can make errors, rubbish in = rubbish out. So really they can only ever pick up on definite breaches, but even then if you'd renewed your insurance the previous day then it wouldn't show in the PNC or ANPR. I guess a good copper would take all this into account.

There are three groups of people who can stop a motor vehicle on the highway, the immatition Police AKA Highways Traffic Officers, who can stop, start, re-route & direct traffic. The Vehicle Operator Services Agency, who can stop and inspect your vehicle and the Police who can do all of the above and more without any reason at all. It is an offence in the UK to fail to stop for either of these three groups.

I've been stopped a few times by the police, some just want to have a look at the bike (and yes some even admit to 'wishing') others are just doing thier job (as much as it we all like to moan about it) and some really are tw@ts.

You did the best thing, stop, have a fag (if that's your bag!) and let then get on with it. you cannot win if they decide you failed the first test (is this guy an arseh0le?). The scary thing is that they can issue prohibition notices without actually being qualified to examine a vehicle - and there is bugger all you can do about it but go along to the MOT station and pay for a recheck. The only recourse (as I understand it) would be to complain to the Chief Constable and hope!, or the Police Comlaints Authority if he/she failes to give any satisfaction.

I have off-road tyres on my TTR, and they are only just legal, under the old rules you should have the E mark, the new rules mean you don't need the E mark, but they must still comply with the regulations. My tyres have the E mark but don't look like they comply. I've had a number of conversations with the VOSA people about this, and they reckon I could still end up before the beak if the inspector wasn't 100% upto date, then I'd need to prove it to someone with no knowledge (or interest) at all.

It pays to pass the first test, be nice, smile and let them get on with it. If they advise you something is amis, best answer (in my opinion) is something like like "oh is that right, thanks for that" - don't admit it's wrong, and don't argue. If they are going to book you for it, then point out any FACTS you know to be true - but be nice!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online