sr125 begining to be a pain

maddogboy
This post is 5742 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi, im new to the site but have had a good scout over a lot of the site, id like a little help with my sr125, its my 1st bike, its been off the road for quite some time before i bought it, so it wants a little work before mot, first prob is i cant get the clutch to disengage, 2nd. flasher relays, wheres the best place for them? i finally found the relay (after hours of looking for it! to find that when i removed it and cleaned the terminals repaced it none of the electricals now work! lastly, how stringent are bike mots? i can get cars through mots but dont know enough about bikes!

thanks in advance

ian

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Ian, welcome to the forum, your bike isn't that complicated but you don't know the history, the clutch will have stuck through standing unused for a long time. First check the oil level and top up as necessary. Then start the engine and let it run until its nice and hot (not just warm). Stop the engine, select third gear by rocking the bike back and forth as you move through the gears; then pull the clutch lever and rock the bike back and forth vigorously until the clutch frees itself.

When all is well with the clutch and while the oil is hot, drain it all out and put new oil in, you dont know how long its been in there, its a simple engine so you wont need to buy any fancy oil for it, mineral oil will do.

:yeahthat: sounds like you also need to make sure the earthing is sound and not corroded. you would need to undo every terminal and clean using wd40.

BTW :welcome: to the forum

thanks for the help, freed the clutch and changed the oil and its much better, just a sticky cable now! have started to disconnect all the wiring loom to clean and lube terminals but am finding that there are a few wires coming away from the connecting blocks. what would be the best thing to do? im ordering new sprockets and a chain, would it be worth getting them with 1 extra tooth, just for a little bit more at the topend?

ian

I'd be inclined to leave standard so its easer to sell.

cables need to be loobed yearly ( all you readers do that don't you?)

you can loob a cable using a funnel and plasticene to seal it and leave overnight, you can use a small cableoiler which uses the power from the wd40 (or whatever) oil spray or you can get a hydraulic cable oiler (£18 from Frost) and these force the oil through in seconds and are great (cos I got one ;) )

I'd be inclined to leave standard so its easer to sell.

cables need to be loobed yearly ( all you readers do that don't you?)

you can loob a cable using a funnel and plasticene to seal it and leave overnight, you can use a small cableoiler which uses the power from the wd40 (or whatever) oil spray or you can get a hydraulic cable oiler (£18 from Frost) and these force the oil through in seconds and are great (cos I got one ;) )

What cables? What lube? lol First bike (SR125) so I have no clue.

thats a good point actually! id not thought about selling it on! wil strip cables (speedo, clutch, throttle + brakes) off and gravity feed the lube! im really suprised how cheaply the sr125 can be repaired to be honest, altogether the bike, inc parts and mot its worked out around 180 quid!! its on a j plate and has done nearly 30k. any advice is greatly appreciated!

thanks

ian

wil strip cables (speedo, clutch, throttle + brakes) off and gravity feed the lube!

ian

Don`t oil the speedo cable !! pull the inner cable out, then clean it, and very lightly oil it but leave the last 6" before it goes into the speedo head dry,,, if oil gets into the speedo head it will bugger it up ...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online